From: Michael Black on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, John Tserkezis wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>> I would like to be able to turn a flashlight on and off with a
>> wireless remote from about 20' away (or so). I figured if I get one of
>> those big plastic flashlights with the 6 volt battery there should be
>> room for whatever electronics are needed, but I don't know how to do
>> it.
>> I realize this sounds like a bit of a strange request, but it's for a
>> theatrical production in which we'd like to be able to turn a
>> flashlight on and off without anyone near it.
>> Any thoughts on either where I could find something like this, or how
>> to make something? It has to be pretty simple for me to able to do it
>> (limited electronics ability and knowledge).
>
> I'll probably get flamed for suggesting such a non-technical solution,
> but since it's likely going to be a one-off (or short term play I
> suppose?), I imagine time, cost and simplicity would be an issue also.
>
> Have you considered a string/fishing line and a micro-switch?

That's not really going to work. You'll have to keep the string taught,
and figure out a method where pulling the string turns it on and pulling
it again turns it off.

You're right, though, that there is a simple solution. Just wire in two
strands of wire, then bring them to a switch where someone can operate
it.

Michael

From: John Tserkezis on
Michael Black wrote:

>> Have you considered a string/fishing line and a micro-switch?

> That's not really going to work. You'll have to keep the string taught,
> and figure out a method where pulling the string turns it on and pulling
> it again turns it off.

A suitably bent paper clip can be used to hook a taught line.
I specifically mentioned a microswitch for the light actuation requirement.
Toggle functionality is more or less an option, but probably not a
requirement.
Since the switch is going to be manned, that's not going to be a problem.

> You're right, though, that there is a simple solution. Just wire in two
> strands of wire, then bring them to a switch where someone can operate it.

Copper is expensive, fishing line is cheap. :-)
--
Pizza IS the four food groups!
From: JeffM on
TomBbiasi wrote:
>Go to Home Depot and get a wireless doorbell.
>You should be able to figure it out from there.

For most applications these days,
off-the-shelf solutions are typically available if you look just a
bit.
These days, strolling thru a big-box building supply joint
or the hardware/electrical section of a department store
makes you think "Now why didn't I think that idea was marketable?"

Have you legally changed your name
or did you get a new news client and mistype?
From: Harry on
I was wondering if that would work. I'd like it so that one push of
the button will turn the light on and another push will turn it off.
Do you think the doorbell would work like that?

From: Tom Biasi on

"JeffM" <jeffm_(a)email.com> wrote in message

> Have you legally changed your name
> or did you get a new news client and mistype?

The latter.
Just made the jump to Win 7 and Live mail.
Thanks.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Ping JB (ThinAirDesigns)