From: Paddy's Pig on
"Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Hi SD! Guess what? I got it runnin'!

Yeah I got it runnin' alright. It worked fine for an hour yesterday
afternoon when I made a few hummingbird shots. Now --- and this may be pure
coincidence that has nothing to do with the presence or absence of the
Phottix device --- my D300s is firing off uncontrolled bursts even when I
don't have the transmitter in my hand. And when when I grab the camera off
the tripod and turn the power switch to the "off" position it remains "on"
for several seconds.

Sounds like an electrical problem to me. I don't know what the cause of it
might be but I never had a problem 'til I got this thing. Hmmmm.

When I remove the Phottix the camera seems okay but this just happened so
I'm not sure if any permanent damage has occurred to the circuitry. Time
will tell.
--
Paddy's Pig

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-13 10:08:47 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:

> "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>> Hi SD! Guess what? I got it runnin'!
>
> Yeah I got it runnin' alright. It worked fine for an hour yesterday
> afternoon when I made a few hummingbird shots. Now --- and this may be pure
> coincidence that has nothing to do with the presence or absence of the
> Phottix device --- my D300s is firing off uncontrolled bursts even when I
> don't have the transmitter in my hand. And when when I grab the camera off
> the tripod and turn the power switch to the "off" position it remains "on"
> for several seconds.
>
> Sounds like an electrical problem to me. I don't know what the cause of it
> might be but I never had a problem 'til I got this thing. Hmmmm.
>
> When I remove the Phottix the camera seems okay but this just happened so
> I'm not sure if any permanent damage has occurred to the circuitry. Time
> will tell.

I have read a few of the reviews and looked at a few of the Youtube
demos. There seem to be mixed feelings over the Phottix N8, but at that
price you might have to make a few compromises.
< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1Ov5z_19Y&fmt=18 >
<
http://jarredsutton.com/blog/2009/05/phottix-plato-n8-review-d200d300d700d3xany-10-pin/

BTW was yours new? I see Amazon has it for $49.
<
http://www.amazon.com/Phottix-2-4GHz-Hybrid-Wireless-Remote/dp/B002X2T5F4/ref=pd_cp_p_1

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Paddy's Pig on
> On 2010-04-13 10:08:47 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:
>
> I have read a few of the reviews and looked at a few of the Youtube demos.
> There seem to be mixed feelings over the Phottix N8, but at that price you
> might have to make a few compromises.
> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1Ov5z_19Y&fmt=18 >
> <
> http://jarredsutton.com/blog/2009/05/phottix-plato-n8-review-d200d300d700d3xany-10-pin/
> BTW was yours new? I see Amazon has it for $49.

Yes.

Incidentally since I wrote the "Uh-oh" comment this morning I removed the
device and cable, then re-installed, making certain both ends of the cable
are securely plugged, and for the past few minutes it seems to be working
okay.

I think I'm a little suspicious of this thing and maybe overly jumpy about
whether it might malfunction and burn up the motherboard in the camera ---
and then Nikon might say "Warranty? What warranty? You used an
unauthorized piece of equipment and burned it up baby so this one's on you".

But like I say it seems okay right now so maybe I pushed the panic button
too quick. I'll see how it does today and then decide. I just wish there'd
been a little more comprehensive set of owner's instructions with it but oh
well...
--
Paddy's Pig

From: michael adams on
Faulty line-wrap corrected

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> > On 2010-04-13 10:08:47 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:
> >
> > I have read a few of the reviews and looked at a few of the Youtube demos.
> > There seem to be mixed feelings over the Phottix N8, but at that price you
> > might have to make a few compromises.
> > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1Ov5z_19Y&fmt=18 >
> > <

http://jarredsutton.com/blog/2009/05/phottix-plato-n8-review-d200d300d700d3xany-10-pin/
> > BTW was yours new? I see Amazon has it for $49.
>

> Yes.
>
> Incidentally since I wrote the "Uh-oh" comment this morning I removed the
> device and cable, then re-installed, making certain both ends of the cable
> are securely plugged, and for the past few minutes it seems to be working
> okay.
>
> I think I'm a little suspicious of this thing and maybe overly jumpy about
> whether it might malfunction and burn up the motherboard in the camera ---

Others may want to comment on this but I very much doubt there's much chance
of that happening.

I bought a remote radio controlled flash trigger specifically so as to be
able to use older flash guns with a Pentax DSLR. Along with the benefit of off
camera flash.

There are web pages devoted to this topic where the figures often vary to an
alarming degree, but allegedly at least, the very high trigger voltages generated
inside some older models of flashgun are sufficient to cause real damage to DSLR
circuits. However a trawl of the web while producing plenty of theory as to how this
could happen - and the dire consequences - is rather short of actual examples.

Nevertheless better safe than sorry. As with the high voltages presumably
being generated inside flashguns to actually fire the bulb its easy to see this as
a possibility. Even if only by accident. Whereas with the tiny batteries used
by the radio transmitter sitting atop the hot shot and the absence of any circuitry
to increase the voltage to generate the signal its unlikely any harm could
possibly result.

The trigger I used was an eBay Hong Kong cheapy costing around 10 UKP.
Supposedly for a Nikon IRRR. It served its purpose well anyway for the price as I
simply needed an off camera flash to photograph some small museum exhibits. After around
say 200 shots it started to exhibit erratic behaviour, firing at random and I effectively
destroyed it - in the absnce of the necessary skills - in dismantling the transmitter
to try and effect a "repair". Cheap enough anyway to buy a replacement
without any worries.

michael adams