From: AES on
Is there a way to remove the Illustrator editing capabilities stored
within a PDF file that has been prepared in Illustrator and Saved As PDF
with Preserve Illustrator editing capabilities turned on? (other than
re-opening the file in Illustrator and re-Saving it)

More detail:

I like to make 1-page PDF documents (slides) in Illustrator CS; keep
master copies with "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" turned
on; then make dupes of selected files (in the Finder) to use when I'm
putting together a presentation.

A single PDF with a few hundred characters of text and some vector
graphics (no jpegs or pixel graphics) may be only 30K in size if saved
from Illustrator as PDF with Illy editing capabilities turned off -- but
becomes 400K with the Preserve Illy editing capabilities left on.

When I try to shrink one of these back down to 30K using PDF Shrink,
using the Remove metadata and "Foreign app" options in PDF Shrink, it
only shrinks to about 350K.

Am I missing something In PDF Shrink (which I otherwise find very
useful? Can Graphic Converter do this job?
From: ken on
In article <siegman-4C557D.09540118062010(a)bmedcfsc-
srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, siegman(a)stanford.edu says...

> A single PDF with a few hundred characters of text and some vector
> graphics (no jpegs or pixel graphics) may be only 30K in size if saved
> from Illustrator as PDF with Illy editing capabilities turned off -- but
> becomes 400K with the Preserve Illy editing capabilities left on.

What actually happens here is that the Illustrator file is saved inside
the PDF file. When you reopen it with Illustrator it actually opens the
saved file inside the PDF file, it doesn't attempt to interpret the PDF
file.

So yes, the PDF file gets (a lot) bigger.

> When I try to shrink one of these back down to 30K using PDF Shrink,
> using the Remove metadata and "Foreign app" options in PDF Shrink, it
> only shrinks to about 350K.
>
> Am I missing something In PDF Shrink (which I otherwise find very
> useful? Can Graphic Converter do this job?

I don't know of any tools that will do the job. The data is stored in
'application-spcific' sections of the file. Only the relevant
application (usually the creator) knows what to do with these, so
everything else leaves them alone. Though the 'foreign app' sounds like
it ought to do that.

Taking a quick peek it look slike PDF Shrink possibly interprets the PDF
file and creates a new PDF from it. You could do the same with (for
example) Ghostscript. Feed the original PDF as the input, create a new
PDF (potentially with custom settings) and it will probably be OK.

Its entirely possible to create something which would specifically strip
out the Illustrator saved file, but I don't know of anything which does
it.

Of course, this is all without seeing the file, its possible there is
something different about your files.

Ken
From: Peter Flynn on
ken wrote:
> In article <siegman-4C557D.09540118062010(a)bmedcfsc-
> srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, siegman(a)stanford.edu says...
>

>> A single PDF with a few hundred characters of text and some vector
>> graphics (no jpegs or pixel graphics) may be only 30K in size if saved
>> from Illustrator as PDF with Illy editing capabilities turned off -- but
>> becomes 400K with the Preserve Illy editing capabilities left on.
>
> What actually happens here is that the Illustrator file is saved inside
> the PDF file. When you reopen it with Illustrator it actually opens the
> saved file inside the PDF file, it doesn't attempt to interpret the PDF
> file.
>
> So yes, the PDF file gets (a lot) bigger.
>

>> When I try to shrink one of these back down to 30K using PDF Shrink,
>> using the Remove metadata and "Foreign app" options in PDF Shrink, it
>> only shrinks to about 350K.
>>
>> Am I missing something In PDF Shrink (which I otherwise find very
>> useful? Can Graphic Converter do this job?
>
> I don't know of any tools that will do the job. The data is stored in
> 'application-spcific' sections of the file. Only the relevant
> application (usually the creator) knows what to do with these, so
> everything else leaves them alone. Though the 'foreign app' sounds like
> it ought to do that.
>
> Taking a quick peek it look slike PDF Shrink possibly interprets the PDF
> file and creates a new PDF from it. You could do the same with (for
> example) Ghostscript. Feed the original PDF as the input, create a new
> PDF (potentially with custom settings) and it will probably be OK.
>
> Its entirely possible to create something which would specifically strip
> out the Illustrator saved file, but I don't know of anything which does
> it.

It is possible that Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is able to do
this. But I have not tried.

///Peter
From: Matti Vuori on
Peter Flynn <peter.nosp(a)m.silmaril.ie> wrote in
> It is possible that Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is able to do
> this. But I have not tried.

I was just thinking about the same thing. And Inkscape has a command line
interface that would make it possible to create a simple command to do the
thing -- in the case that it works and does not cause any side effects
(which I doubt it will).
From: AES on
In article <200620100826348430%HP(a)snotmail.com>,
High Priest <HP(a)snotmail.com> wrote:

> > I like to make 1-page PDF documents (slides) in Illustrator CS...
> > When I try to shrink one of these back down to 30K using PDF Shrink,
> > using the Remove metadata and "Foreign app" options in PDF Shrink, it
> > only shrinks to about 350K.
>

> I was interested to read this. In my work, I have a need to remove
> metadata (more-specifically, remove the entire resource fork). I used
> to use QuickImage to do this but it no longer works in OSX. After an
> unsuccessful search, I contacted the Graphicconverter geniuses at Lemke
> Software. They quickly added a feature to do this. It's in version
> 6.72b19 which is stable. Apart from being eternally-grateful, I also
> wonder if it would help in your quest? Probably not but I mention it
> anyway, just in case.

Will try . . . thanks.