From: John John - MVP on
???

Real duplicate file finders will find duplicate files by contents, even
if the name and creation dates are different, it would be pretty useless
to search for duplicate by filename only! Real duplicate finders have
options to allow you to select if you want to have the filename or
creation date included in the duplicate file criteria.

John

From: ED on
Not true.
Files are compared using the checksum value.
If CRC are equal, file contents must be equal/

From: sgopus on
Thanks, I'm updated with that.

From: HeyBub on
ED wrote:
> Not true.
> Files are compared using the checksum value.
> If CRC are equal, file contents must be equal/

Almost certainly that's true, but not always.

If the check-sum is four bytes, there's a one-in-four-quadrillion chance the
files could differ but have the same check-sum.

From: Paul Randall on

"HeyBub" <heybub(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> ED wrote:
>> Not true.
>> Files are compared using the checksum value.
>> If CRC are equal, file contents must be equal/
>>

> Almost certainly that's true, but not always.
>
> If the check-sum is four bytes, there's a one-in-four-quadrillion chance
> the files could differ but have the same check-sum.

Also, a malicious person could have modified the file in such a way that the
CRC is the same as it was before the modification. Other checksum
mechanism, such as MD5 were designed to be more difficult to spoof in this
way, but it turned out to be not that much more difficult. To be really
sure that the content of two files is identical, one might verify that the
CRC, MD5, and SHA checksums are all identical for the two files.

-Paul Randall