From: MalkiaSashko on

Hello,

I want to rename the title of the "Task Name" column. I looked in the
help and the provided solution was that I have to hide the column, then
insert it again, and in the "Column definition" dialog box enter the
desired title in the Title field. This works, however I noticed
something funny. In the Field name list of the Column definition dialog
box there is no "Task name" column, but only "Name". As the latter
contains the same information as the first one this is not a big deal,
but what should I do if I want to insert the same old "Task name" column
again?

Thank you.

--
MalkiaSashko
MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Jim Aksel on
There are a fixed number of columns (variables) in Project. When you insert
a column, you are not really creating it, only making it visible. Same thing
when you "delete" it, you are actually hiding it.

That said, the column has an official name which is "Name." You may rename
it using an alias to anything you want. Rather than hide/insert the column,
you can double click on it and then you will see the official name and alias.

When you go to insert additional column in different views, you will still
see the "Official" name in the drop down.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

From: MalkiaSashko on

This post was extremely valuable to me. Thank you very much. One of the
things I still don't get however is: why would I want to rename a column
using the customize fields option (custom field dialog box -> rename) if
I can just change the title by double clicking the column?

From: Trevor Rabey on
The Name and the Title are different, independent properties of a field.
The Name is permanent (until you change it) and is the same for that field
in every Table.
But the Title, which is a kind of table specific alias, only applies in a
particular Table.
You can change the Title of any field but you can change the Name of only
the custom fields.

Try it. In the Entry Table, change the Title of the task Name field to
"daffy duck".
Then switch to the Cost Table or any other, then back to the Entry Table,
compare.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"MalkiaSashko" <MalkiaSashko.44dw7c(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> This post was extremely valuable to me. Thank you very much. One of the
> things I still don't get however is: why would I want to rename a column
> using the customize fields option (custom field dialog box -> rename) if
> I can just change the title by double clicking the column?
>

> --
> MalkiaSashko
> MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290219.htm