From: whstewart1 on

Jim-Thanks for the help. This looks like it will work. Unfortunately
there does is not a sort by "name" option that I was able to find but
the custom grouping can be grouped by name. This will make it a lot
easier as long as I get all of my tasks in order before I start. I am
still presented with an issue if I add something to the list. Thanks
again.

Trevor- Actually I am pretty sure it will work. I think you are
thinking of DAY1 incorrectly. I am treating DAY1 as a task and as a way
of grouping the 50 or so things that have to be done to each unit. If
you do not understand the way I am trying to explain it, Imagine I was
planning for a week long music festival tour. Seven days spread out with
uncertain dates. The only thing I know is that in order for the second
day to happen the first day has to already have happened. Or another
example would be if I was planning for a hiking trip and want to group
my meals and activities under the day itself which is a task. In order
for DAY2 to happen, DAY1 will have to be done. In my project in
particular, we are going to go through most of the units doing their
DAY1 tasks before I even Start back going through the units with their
DAY2 tasks. If you know of a better way of doing this or why exactly it
will not work, please let me know.

--
whstewart1
whstewart1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/216370.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
The task list should be a deliverables breakdown - starting with the overall
project deliverable it should be decomposed into smaller and smaller
compnent units until you get to the level where a task describes the
physical activity done by a single skill set in producing a single
deliverable. In your concert tour, one deliverable might be a performance
in Houston while another, coming later in the tour, is a performance in St
Louis. An activity might be "inspect/test FOH sound system," occuring once
for each venue. The deliverable for the Houston venue is "Houston sound,
good to go" while St Louis has a completely separate deliverable, "St Louis
sound, good to go." You have to do that in both venues but you don't have
to have actually played the Houston date before you send an engineer to
inspect the St Louis FOH system. In your breakdown the activities are
organized by time, not by what they actually DO or what deliverable they
contribute to. If you need a listing of tasks by date for some reason, you
can always do that by sorting or in a report (Who Does What When). Imagine,
in your plan, what happens if St Louis cancels. Your St Louis related tasks
are scattered helter skelter under summaries based on time - finding all the
tasks related to St Louis's performance is going to be a nightmare. Or even
if you just need to verify that everything you need to do to be ready to
roll in St Louis has been done. But if the plan is arranged with the
summaries representing deliverables, ie, each venue, it's a no-brainer to
locate everything St Louis related.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

From: whstewart1 on

I guess I am still being a little bit unclear but I think this will
help. Maybe my concert example was not the best. I am thinking of each
day as a mini phase. For each particular apartment phase 1 (day1) has
to be done before phase2 (day2). The start date of phase2 for a unit is
dependant only on being done with phase 2 on the previous unit. Also,
phase 1 has to have been completed. Phase 2 does not start on a unit
the day after phase 1 is done it starts the day after phase2 is done for
the previous unit. If someone knows of a better way of doing this than I
would love to hear it but I don't need anymore "that wont work" or why a
hypothetical that I came up with is not exactly like what I am talking
about. Thanks.

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
Instead of "Day 1," "Day2," etc then why not name each main summary
"Apartment 1" "Apartment 2" and so forth? That makes it a LOT clearer that
the summary tasks represent represent phases with a deliverable at the end
of each and allows for the possibility that Apartment X is in such shape
that it might take more than 2 days to complete. Instead of the phases
being Day 1 and Day 2, the phases are whatever the objective is that the
work needs to accomplish, ie "Apartment Painted" "Appliances Installed" etc.
(You haven't said what you're doing with these apartments - building,
maintaining, fumigating, or whatever - so look to the principle, not the
specific example.) Note that summary tasks are NOT really tasks at all -
they are rollups - in a sense they're sort of reports, of the work -
durations, etc of the actual physical tasks contained under them. The real
work of the project is in the detailed subtasks. You should be able to hide
all the summaries, leaving only their subtasks, and still see all the work
required to complete the project. Remember that a Project plan is not a
just to-do list, listing the activities planned or due on a certain date,
but instead is a detailed roadmap of the entire process and workflow itself.
The phases, represented by all the various level summary tasks, represent
the physical objectives that need to be accomplished for the project itself
to be completed and not the dates on which the work will take place.

From: whstewart1 on

Steve- I think you are trying to tell me to do what I have already done.
What was done before I asked the original question which has nothing to
do with any of this.
Here is an example of a particular task.

Unit1-Day1-Replace Hot Water Heater-Remove Hot Water Heater

or

Unit1-Day2-Replace Carpet-Remove Old Carpet

I am fixing these apartments up. Rehabbing them for those in the
business. A "phase" in the construction industry as it is every where
else that I know about consists of a variety of tasks not just
"Apartments Painted"

I have milestones for the end of tasks and for the end of the day or
phase depending on how you like to look at it.

I don't think that I ever said that DAY1 was my main summary.