From: goldtech on
Hi,

There's a fan on my motherboard that is noisy - it's really making a
racket and I wanted to know if there's a way to replace it or fix it.
I have a pic of the motherboard below with the offending fan circled
in red. It's been a good motherboard but the fan is acting up. Thanks.

The model is Gigabyte: GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

Here is the picture:
http://ljg.netfirms.com/motherboard.jpg

Do they sell replacements?
From: Mike Easter on
goldtech wrote:

> There's a fan on my motherboard that is noisy - it's really making a
> racket and I wanted to know if there's a way to replace it or fix it.
> I have a pic of the motherboard below with the offending fan circled
> in red. It's been a good motherboard but the fan is acting up. Thanks.
>
> The model is Gigabyte: GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
>
> Here is the picture:
> http://ljg.netfirms.com/motherboard.jpg
>
> Do they sell replacements?

That is an excellent presentation of your problem.

You have circled the nvidia nForce 4 SLI fan/vga-northbridge-chipset
assembly.

I think that people like Thermaltake make heatsinks (such as even
without fan) which are compatible with that cooler.

--
Mike Easter

From: Dave on

"Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote in message
> goldtech wrote:
>
>> There's a fan on my motherboard that is noisy - it's really making a
>> racket and I wanted to know if there's a way to replace it or fix it.
>> I have a pic of the motherboard below with the offending fan circled
>> in red. It's been a good motherboard but the fan is acting up. Thanks.
>>
>> The model is Gigabyte: GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
>>
>> Here is the picture:
>> http://ljg.netfirms.com/motherboard.jpg
>>
>> Do they sell replacements?
>
> That is an excellent presentation of your problem.
>
> You have circled the nvidia nForce 4 SLI fan/vga-northbridge-chipset
> assembly.
>
> I think that people like Thermaltake make heatsinks (such as even
> without fan) which are compatible with that cooler.

Unless you are overclocking, you might be able to just take the fan off and
leave it off. But that assumes that there is a heatsink under the fan.
Don't leave the Northbridge naked. But it probably doesn't need a fan, if
it has a heatsink. NOTE: Don't just unplug the noisy fan. That will block
the heatsink. If you can remove the fan from the heatsink though, that
would be my suggestion. -Dave

From: Jan Alter on

"Dave" <noway1(a)nohow2.not> wrote in message

> "Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote in message
>> goldtech wrote:
>>
>>> There's a fan on my motherboard that is noisy - it's really making a
>>> racket and I wanted to know if there's a way to replace it or fix it.
>>> I have a pic of the motherboard below with the offending fan circled
>>> in red. It's been a good motherboard but the fan is acting up. Thanks.
>>>
>>> The model is Gigabyte: GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
>>>
>>> Here is the picture:
>>> http://ljg.netfirms.com/motherboard.jpg
>>>
>>> Do they sell replacements?
>>
>> That is an excellent presentation of your problem.
>>
>> You have circled the nvidia nForce 4 SLI fan/vga-northbridge-chipset
>> assembly.
>>
>> I think that people like Thermaltake make heatsinks (such as even
>> without fan) which are compatible with that cooler.
>>

> Unless you are overclocking, you might be able to just take the fan off
> and leave it off. But that assumes that there is a heatsink under the
> fan. Don't leave the Northbridge naked. But it probably doesn't need a
> fan, if it has a heatsink. NOTE: Don't just unplug the noisy fan. That
> will block the heatsink. If you can remove the fan from the heatsink
> though, that would be my suggestion. -Dave

Quite often noisy mini-fans can be quieted by placing a drop of oil on the
bushing shaft. This is done by lifting either the emblem cover or paper
sticker on the fan. As Mike Easter mentioned, that was a nice touch with you
posting a jpeg. Additionally, that fan may be under warranty from Gigabyte.
Check how old your mb is. If it's still under warranty you could probably
get them to send you another fan by getting in touch with their customer
service.

Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: NT on
On Sep 5, 1:04 pm, "Jan Alter" <bear...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> "Dave" <now...(a)nohow2.not> wrote in message

> > "Mike Easter" <Mi...(a)ster.invalid> wrote in message

> >> That is an excellent presentation of your problem.
>
> >> You have circled the nvidia nForce 4 SLI fan/vga-northbridge-chipset
> >> assembly.
>
> >> I think that people like Thermaltake make heatsinks (such as even
> >> without fan) which are compatible with that cooler.
>
> > Unless you are overclocking, you might be able to just take the fan off
> > and leave it off.  But that assumes that there is a heatsink under the
> > fan. Don't leave the Northbridge naked.  But it probably doesn't need a
> > fan, if it has a heatsink.  NOTE:  Don't just unplug the noisy fan.  That
> > will block the heatsink.  If you can remove the fan from the heatsink
> > though, that would be my suggestion.  -Dave
>
> Quite often noisy mini-fans can be quieted by placing a drop of oil on the
> bushing shaft. This is done by lifting either the emblem cover or paper
> sticker on the fan. As Mike Easter mentioned, that was a nice touch with you
> posting a jpeg. Additionally, that fan may be under warranty from Gigabyte.
> Check how old your mb is. If it's still under warranty you could probably
> get them to send you another fan by getting in touch with their customer
> service.
>
> Jan Alter
> bear...(a)verizon.net

If you dont get what you want, theres one fallback option for almost
every fan problem. Unplug the fan, leaving it in situ, and tie a new
one on top of it.

NT