From: arkaxow on
I live in the state of New Jersey in the country USA. I have a few
extra C64s, but I'm not handing with a soldering iron. The C64 that I
had the chip taken out of was done by an acquaintance and he was nice
enough to make it socket-able for easy replacement. I suppose I get
him to take one out of another C64, but I would like to look at all my
options. I would of course have to test the chip in the spare and ask
my acquaintance (who lives 1 hour or so away) to unsolder it.

I would be interested in learning how to burn my own EPROM, but only
know that such a device exists. Where could I buy one and is it fairly
easy to use ?

From: Clocky on
arkaxow wrote:
> I live in the state of New Jersey in the country USA. I have a few
> extra C64s, but I'm not handing with a soldering iron. The C64 that I
> had the chip taken out of was done by an acquaintance and he was nice
> enough to make it socket-able for easy replacement. I suppose I get
> him to take one out of another C64, but I would like to look at all my
> options. I would of course have to test the chip in the spare and ask
> my acquaintance (who lives 1 hour or so away) to unsolder it.
>
> I would be interested in learning how to burn my own EPROM, but only
> know that such a device exists. Where could I buy one and is it fairly
> easy to use ?

I bought my EPROM programmer (Willem dual power) for $20 off Ebay and whilst
it isn't the best you can buy it is easy to use and will burn most common
EPROM types including the 27C512-45 required for a replacement PLA.

The hardest part will be desoldering the original PLA if it isn't socket,
and making an adapter though I would highly recommend getting one of Dan
(DMackey's) adapter boards. The EPROM replacement PLA's are definitely the
way to go as they run cold and will in all likelyhood never need replacing
again and even in the unlikely event that it should fail you can simply burn
another one.

Here is one I made to give you an idea of what is involved...

http://users.on.net/~clockmeister/other/C64PLA-27C512/

From: Sam on
I also used the workout of Ray Carlsen: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/tdsweb/EPROMPLA/

But instead of using a adapterboard I cutted some traces and added a
few wires on the board to place the Eprom directly in the PLA socket.

See the article on my website, in Dutch, but the photo's are clear
enough I think. http://www.siemappelman.nl/nieuws.html (scroll down to
Commodore 64 PLA replacement). This is for the Assy 250407 but I can
make photo's for other versions.

Regards, SAM

From: Clocky on
Sam wrote:
> I also used the workout of Ray Carlsen:
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/tdsweb/EPROMPLA/

Same as mine ;-)

> But instead of using a adapterboard I cutted some traces and added a
> few wires on the board to place the Eprom directly in the PLA socket.
>
> See the article on my website, in Dutch, but the photo's are clear
> enough I think. http://www.siemappelman.nl/nieuws.html (scroll down to
> Commodore 64 PLA replacement). This is for the Assy 250407 but I can
> make photo's for other versions.
>
> Regards, SAM

That's an interesting way of doing it en Nederlands lezen gaat ook nog wel
;-)