From: William B. Lurie on
FWIW, I joined the following group:

eternal-september.support

as a replacement for the dwindling current 'basics'
group, and find it active and helpful.
From: VanguardLH on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> FWIW, I joined the following group:
>
> eternal-september.support
>
> as a replacement for the dwindling current 'basics'
> group, and find it active and helpful.

Which has nothing to do with the topic of THIS newsgroup. This
newsgroup discusses Microsoft's Windows XP product family. That
newsgroup would be about getting help with the ES service itself and has
nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows XP; however, you are *still*
posting using Microsoft's NNTP server so what ES has to do with your
post is unknown.

With Microsoft dropping their NNTP server, you think it wise to
subscribe to a newsgroup that discusses some other newsgroups provider's
service? How are you going to get to the ES newsgroup when Microsoft
drops their NNTP server? What does the ES newsgroup have to do with
Windows XP?
From: William B. Lurie on
VanguardLH wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I joined the following group:
>>
>> eternal-september.support
>>
>> as a replacement for the dwindling current 'basics'
>> group, and find it active and helpful.
>
> Which has nothing to do with the topic of THIS newsgroup. This
> newsgroup discusses Microsoft's Windows XP product family. That
> newsgroup would be about getting help with the ES service itself and has
> nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows XP; however, you are *still*
> posting using Microsoft's NNTP server so what ES has to do with your
> post is unknown.
>
> With Microsoft dropping their NNTP server, you think it wise to
> subscribe to a newsgroup that discusses some other newsgroups provider's
> service? How are you going to get to the ES newsgroup when Microsoft
> drops their NNTP server? What does the ES newsgroup have to do with
> Windows XP?

To reply briefly, I quote a query I posted there, which I would
have posted here, and received several useful responses. And
as far as I can make out, I don't think I'm on any server that
is dependent upon Microsoft.

From: Bickford Schmeckler on

: To reply briefly, I quote a query I posted there, which I would
: have posted here, and received several useful responses. And
: as far as I can make out, I don't think I'm on any server that
: is dependent upon Microsoft.
:
Even though people may post on MS newsgroups through other NNTP servers, it
doesn't change the fact that most of the experts and regular posters are
gone! And, before long, the diehards will give up. Traffic is just about
nill, you HoopleHead.

From: William B. Lurie on
Bickford Schmeckler wrote:
> : To reply briefly, I quote a query I posted there, which I would
> : have posted here, and received several useful responses. And
> : as far as I can make out, I don't think I'm on any server that
> : is dependent upon Microsoft.
> :
> Even though people may post on MS newsgroups through other NNTP servers, it
> doesn't change the fact that most of the experts and regular posters are
> gone! And, before long, the diehards will give up. Traffic is just about
> nill, you HoopleHead.

Sticks and stones......

But if you go to the group that I went to, on
recommendations received here, you'll find Microsoft
MVPs pitching in there, as they used to do here.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Newsgroup for Windows 7
Next: Event viewer Errors