From: Ramu on
The cost of ownership of my cell phone has become pretty high, at
least for my budget.

I'd like to explore any viable alternate to owning a cell phone,
perhaps using a combination of laptop running Linux with Internet
connectivity.

Can anyone share any pointers or experiences?

Thanks,

Ramu
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Ramu <ramu.iyer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to explore any viable alternate to owning a cell phone,
> perhaps using a combination of laptop running Linux with Internet
> connectivity.
>
> Can anyone share any pointers or experiences?

A laptop and a phone have been two very different things, but they are
getting closer with todays smartphones. I would guess that you are looking
for pointers like:

https://www1.pbxes.com/index_e.php
http://skype.com/intl/en/

However, at the end of the day you will end up paying for an internet
connection which at least for mobile solution might be more expensive than
your current phone bill.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Leon Whyte on
Ramu wrote:
> The cost of ownership of my cell phone has become pretty high, at
> least for my budget.
>
> I'd like to explore any viable alternate to owning a cell phone,
> perhaps using a combination of laptop running Linux with Internet
> connectivity.
>
> Can anyone share any pointers or experiences?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ramu

I don't see why you chose to send your query to a Linux hardware group but I think you
could do quite well with Skype. I use it and it runs for me about $ 3.00 per month.
There are several ways to make your cell costs go down and one way is to use a long
distance card that has you dial a 1-800 number. Most Cell providers do not charge you
for using a 1-800 number so you can even call a local number without adding to your cell
bill. Also there is free incoming calls you can get thus cutting your cell bill to about
the minimum.

--
Leon
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
From: DenverD on
where you live and how the communications charges are levied there
will affect what is best/least expensive for you..

as already mentioned you can use Skype (in Linux and other systems) to
dial out for FREE to all other Skype users (and have video calls with
them, if both ends have webcams), and for a rate lower than the telcos
around here, you can call to wired and mobile phones all over the
earth...each country having a slightly different rate..

and, if you wish you can buy unlimited calls both locally or not..

but, for folks to call you they have to have a number, right? and, you
can get one from Skype in any (i guess) and every country you
want...each, of course, has a cost..

lots to read at skype.com

there may be other services that are less, or offer more...but, i
don't know of it..

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon