From: Mike on
I'm looking to run Linux on a Mini ITX motherboard as the basis for an
intelligent irrigation system. On a price (I'm not rich) / performance
aspect (and hopefully a reliable brand), the Intel D945CGLF ($NZ134) or
D945CGLF2 ($NZ157) or Foxconn 45CS look like starters. The Intel one's have
an IDE connector which ought to be handy with the contents of my junk box
having 2 - 80Gb IDE drives.

Has anyone had any experience with running Linux on these? I primarily use
Fedora and and looking to brew a customised Linux From Scratch or similar
system if/when time allows.

The Intel and Foxconn websites only state support for Windows. They don't
specifically say that Linux is a no-no..

Cheers
Mike

From: ray on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:47:06 +1300, Mike wrote:

> I'm looking to run Linux on a Mini ITX motherboard as the basis for an
> intelligent irrigation system. On a price (I'm not rich) / performance
> aspect (and hopefully a reliable brand), the Intel D945CGLF ($NZ134) or
> D945CGLF2 ($NZ157) or Foxconn 45CS look like starters. The Intel one's
> have an IDE connector which ought to be handy with the contents of my
> junk box having 2 - 80Gb IDE drives.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with running Linux on these? I primarily
> use Fedora and and looking to brew a customised Linux From Scratch or
> similar system if/when time allows.
>
> The Intel and Foxconn websites only state support for Windows. They
> don't specifically say that Linux is a no-no..
>
> Cheers
> Mike

I've not had any experience with the boards you name, but I have
experience with another low cost board. It's been a while since I got it,
but it's the board on my main desktop computer now. Some time back, when
gOS (green operating system) computer was announced, it was possible to
get the gOS motherboard for $60. I did. Now running Debian on it. Comes
with an integrated 1.5ghz VIA C7 - two DDR2 slots, support for both SATA
and IDE drives. A web search should turn it up.
From: Mungo on
"Mike" <a(a)b.com> wrote in news:4b342ab3$1(a)news.orcon.net.nz:

> or D945CGLF2
> Has anyone had any experience with running Linux on these? I primarily
> use Fedora and and looking to brew a customised Linux From Scratch or
> similar system if/when time allows.

The D945CGLF2 board runs RHEL 5.4 flawlessly. It averages 42 watts. The
support issue is that Intel requires Windows to validate non fatal hardware
failures (Audio, NIC, etc) in order to issue an RMA.

regards,

mungo
From: Mike on

"Mungo" <reallydontmail(a)me.com> wrote in message
> "Mike" <a(a)b.com> wrote in news:4b342ab3$1(a)news.orcon.net.nz:
>
>> or D945CGLF2
>> Has anyone had any experience with running Linux on these? I primarily
>> use Fedora and and looking to brew a customised Linux From Scratch or
>> similar system if/when time allows.
>
> The D945CGLF2 board runs RHEL 5.4 flawlessly. It averages 42 watts. The
> support issue is that Intel requires Windows to validate non fatal
> hardware
> failures (Audio, NIC, etc) in order to issue an RMA.
>
> regards,
>
> mungo

Thaks Mungo. Some more questions for you?

Sooooo, they're basically like most other M/B's in that they only come with
Windows utilities? In which case an unvalidated install of 32bit XP would
enable me to validate non fatal hardware errors?

I notice that the Foxconn doesn't have a fan on the CPU nor a heat sink on a
large-ish Intel chip. Looking at both the D945CGLF and D945CGLF2, there is a
fan on the CPU and a heatsink on the large Intel chip. Are Intel just being
cautious or are Foxconn sailing too close to the wind. As I prefer the
silence of no fan (my wife can hear a fan from the far end of the house), is
it possible to underclock things to around 1Ghz (or whatever) to produce
less heat? 1Ghz would be plenty of power for what I plan to do.

Will these boards boot off a USB stick (no noise and less watts presumably)?

Cheers
Mike

From: Mike on

> Windows utilities? In which case an unvalidated install of 32bit XP would

Oops, 64bit Windows.

Did some more digging on Intel's site and found
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gclf2/sb/CS-029860.htm