From: Kirsten on
I am trying to create a report or view that shows the Summary Task as my
header then resource name an Monthly hour associated by the Summary Task.

The Resource Usage View is ok, but I need it to role up to the Summary task,
how do I get it to do that? I only need to view Monthly Hours at the Summary
Task Level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kirsten
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
The trick is that you need to flag each task/assignment with the summary task
and then group by that element.

Easiest would perhaps be to group by WBS levels. If you're using 2007 SP2,
add the WBS Code to the Resource Usage view, then Project > Group By the WBS
Code, setting the outline to use levels.

Something like that should work. I don't have Project in front of me, so
can't play with it to confirm this is exactly how it would work.

Note in preliminary testing that 2007 SP1 has issues grouping outline codes
by levels.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can't come up with something
more specific.

From: JulieS on
Hi Andrew,

I think Kirsten's message is a repeat posting from a few days
ago. I've given her some options on adding the Task Summary Name
to the Resource Usage view and creating a group to group by the
Task Summary Name resource field.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Honestly, I've never noticed that Task Summary Name field before. That'll
work way better. Kind of like when I was looking at 2010 the other day and
saw the Linked Fields field and thought it was a new field - only later realizing
it's been around for a couple of years.

Thanks for the tip.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: Dale Howard [MVP] on
Kirsten --

While in the Resource Usage view, click the Group By pick list and select
the Assignment Keeping Outline Structure group. This will show you the
summary tasks for each task assignment below each resource's name. Next,
collapse the summary task sections to the desired level. Finally, zoom out
in the timephased grid until you are zoomed to Quarters Over Months. This
customized view should show you what you seek. Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services