From: Doctorgyprons on

Hello,
I'm scheduler for a large IT project and I'm really struggling for
something that looks easier but maybe is not.

This is the background.
A very big (master) schedule is in place; I put in bracket Master
because we are not using MSP Server or linking for Master one but it's a
stand alone plan with all sub projects inside.
Sub projects have cross links, and major deliverables come out from
combination of activities from different projects.

Now what I'm trying to do:
Following the link chain of major deliverables I was able to separate
different activities that bring to major a deliverable and flag them, so
I can recall in easier way.
Now I was asked to fetch this resulting plan and create a new one for
each major deliverables.
But I didn't find a way to do so without troubles (copy&paste, extract
and import, ...)

Is there someone that have idea if is possible do that and in wich way?

Thank you in advance for your support.
Cheers,
\Riky

--
Doctorgyprons
Doctorgyprons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/224482.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Jim Aksel on
We do this all the time, forgive me if this gets a little tedious ....
I am assuming you have 100% of all tasks in one single (large) mpp file. Oh
my!

First, I think what you are saying is you want to be able to "fan" the
predecessors of a specific task such as a deliverable. You may wish to
search for a Macro on this, I know Jack Dalhgren has one on his site called
"Trace Macro" available here:
http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

We do this another way, you may want to do a google on "IMP/IMS" which
stands for Intgrated Master Plan and Integrated Master Schedule.

Here is the very short version -- Each major deliverable (such as a
software release) has a handful of *Program Events* that are milestones
(Requirements Complete, Devleopment Complete, Testing Complete, etc.). These
are the highest level milestones in your project plan. For ease, we can
number the PEs as 01, 02, 03, etc.

Program Events are supported by two or more "Significant Accomplishments"
for each PE ... those handful of big picture items that you have to claim are
complete before you can claim the Program Event is complete. Guess what, we
can number them too! 01, 02, 03....

But wait, there's more! Below Significant Accomplishments are the more
details items they call "Accomplishment Critieria" and we can number them too
(01, 02, 03....).

Sorry, below that, they just call them tasks or actvities and they do not
get numbered. What we do is create a custom text field in the Project file
and start numbering the tasks in accordance with the PEs they support:
01.14.03 would support Progrram Event #1, Significant Accomplishment 14,
Criteria number 3. Keep in mind that every the number scheme starts over
every time:
01.00.00 is a PE
01.01.00 is an SA
01.01.01 is an AC.
02.00.00
02.01.00
02.01.01

The beauty of this technique (over using a WBS) is that the numbering can be
distributed througout your schedule model.
Now you can filter and group until you are exhausted. For example, you
could create a filter "Starts with 01.". It is also possible to do the same
with a custom outline code, but that gets a little more complicated.

:)
--
Jim Aksel, MVP

Check my blog for more info:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

This newsgroup is moving, try here too:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

From: John on
In article <Doctorgyprons.4biyda(a)DoNotSpam.com>,
Doctorgyprons <Doctorgyprons.4biyda(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm scheduler for a large IT project and I'm really struggling for
> something that looks easier but maybe is not.
>
> This is the background.
> A very big (master) schedule is in place; I put in bracket Master
> because we are not using MSP Server or linking for Master one but it's a
> stand alone plan with all sub projects inside.
> Sub projects have cross links, and major deliverables come out from
> combination of activities from different projects.
>
> Now what I'm trying to do:
> Following the link chain of major deliverables I was able to separate
> different activities that bring to major a deliverable and flag them, so
> I can recall in easier way.
> Now I was asked to fetch this resulting plan and create a new one for
> each major deliverables.
> But I didn't find a way to do so without troubles (copy&paste, extract
> and import, ...)
>
> Is there someone that have idea if is possible do that and in wich way?
>
> Thank you in advance for your support.
> Cheers,
> \Riky

Riky,
Is there a reason why you can't simply apply a filter to the master so
it only shows the deliverable data? It won't create a new plan but at
least it is a very simple way to get close to what you want.

Another option that may be viable but likely will require a lot of work
is to re-create the new plan manually based on a filtered set of the
existing master.

If you really need a totally separate new plan that is a subset of
specific tasks in your dynamic master, then the only real option is to
convert the dynamic master to a static master and cull out tasks you
don't need. Unfortunately with task to task links between subprojects,
the only way to create the static master is via VBA. I have a macro that
converts a dynamic master with links between subproject tasks into a
static master where project to project links are preserved as normal
predecessors & successors. However it is not freeware but if you are
interested you can contact me at the address below. I will ask some
questions.

John
Project MVP
jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm
(remove obvious redundancies)
From: Doctorgyprons on

Hello,
@Jim - You got the point but stopped at critical step.
I mean I'm still using the Dalhgren's "fantastic" Trace macro, and I did
all the steps that you mention. Final result in big plan is really
great.
But now I'm requested to copy out from the big plan the result ... and
this is what I'm not able to do.

I mean I'm able to create a new plan applying the custom filter and
copy&paste but some links appear not created even they should.

I think there is some limitation in MSP about that because to study the
issue I've created a dummy plan from one MSP build in template
(engineering).
Than I choose one deliverable and use Trace Macro with fan everything
(not only Critical or Driving).
As result not all the task where included in resulting filtered plan.
So using Trace_ filter I copied out this plan in a new MSP.. and
surprise: some links that should copied where not! the error message
"pasting error occur in predecessor ..." appear during the copy but
those task are really not impacted but indent or summary tasks
problems.

If you want have a deeper look I attach starting and final mpp.
I'm still investigating but looks like a clue.

note: I'm using MSP2007 and the plan is well connected e.g no hangers,
no hammock, really few constrains, and I'm using a copy without actual
values so full dynamic

@John - thank you for your offer, I appreciate, but current big "master"
is not dinamic and what I need to do is described above.

Cheers,
\Riky

From: John on
In article <Doctorgyprons.4bkkpb(a)DoNotSpam.com>,
Doctorgyprons <Doctorgyprons.4bkkpb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> @Jim - You got the point but stopped at critical step.
> I mean I'm still using the Dalhgren's "fantastic" Trace macro, and I did
> all the steps that you mention. Final result in big plan is really
> great.
> But now I'm requested to copy out from the big plan the result ... and
> this is what I'm not able to do.
>
> I mean I'm able to create a new plan applying the custom filter and
> copy&paste but some links appear not created even they should.
>
> I think there is some limitation in MSP about that because to study the
> issue I've created a dummy plan from one MSP build in template
> (engineering).
> Than I choose one deliverable and use Trace Macro with fan everything
> (not only Critical or Driving).
> As result not all the task where included in resulting filtered plan.
> So using Trace_ filter I copied out this plan in a new MSP.. and
> surprise: some links that should copied where not! the error message
> "pasting error occur in predecessor ..." appear during the copy but
> those task are really not impacted but indent or summary tasks
> problems.
>
> If you want have a deeper look I attach starting and final mpp.
> I'm still investigating but looks like a clue.
>
> note: I'm using MSP2007 and the plan is well connected e.g no hangers,
> no hammock, really few constrains, and I'm using a copy without actual
> values so full dynamic
>

> @John - thank you for your offer, I appreciate, but current big "master"
> is not dinamic and what I need to do is described above.
>
> Cheers,
> \Riky

Riky,
Okay, I must have misunderstood what type of "master" plan you have. I'm
glad Jim was able to offer an approach that you can use.

John
Project MVP