From: DNGRE on
I work in an environment in which the hourly rates of project team members is
considered sensitive information. Is there any way that I can conceal this
information and still share the Project file with team members? Can I
password protect the rates or make the resource sheet invisible to everyone
except me? Thanks.
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Nope. Typically you could:

1) Invest in Project Server, and control the views to which they have access
using their browser.
2) PDF specific views of the project schedule for their consumption (or use
the Copy Project to Office Wizard)
3) Delete the rates manually or using a macro before distribution.

Note that most folks frown on #3 as it's generally considered a bad (or at
least undesireable) practice to distribute an MPP file for consumption purposes.
#2 would probably be preferred.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: DNGRE on
This question concerns MS Project 2007

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
Version doesn't matter, you can't selectively hide portions of the file. If
someone has access to the file, they have access to all of it. If they're
not high enough in the organization heirarchy to have access to salary/cost
data, they're not high enough to access the original project file itself
either. Give them what they need to know as reports and pdf screen shots.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

From: Rod Gill on
A common method is to only use standard band rates for each resource that
include overheads and other admin costs. That way direct pay rates are well
hidden.

otherwise Project Server Views or a macro to temporarily read rates from a
spreadsheet or database, print reports then delete rates (can be done
manually each time) are the only ways to go.

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com