From: Pascale Mourier on
Hi,

I am trying to port a set of Python programs originally working with
PostgreSQL, to use SQL Server 2008 with Windows XP... and it is harder
than expected.

I tried pyodbc and ceODBC.

Already read a number of documents and FAQ's.

Yes I configured the Server security to allow both Windows and SQL
Server logins.

Is there any other admin task needed to configure the odbc interface (I
assume it odbc interface ships with the SQL Server product, right?).

I checked the web site www.connectionstrings.com.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/sql-server-2008#p3

There are a number of choices. After some experimentation with or w/o
quotes around the values of the keyword=value pairs, the closest I got
to opening a connection is with pyodbc:

specifying: driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0 ODBC Driver}

Is that correct?

The driver complains that it expects an ASCII character and is getting a
byte greater than 128...

Any suggestions?

Thks in advance,
Pascale.
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Pascale Mourier (Pascale.Mourier(a)ecp.fr) writes:
> There are a number of choices. After some experimentation with or w/o
> quotes around the values of the keyword=value pairs, the closest I got
> to opening a connection is with pyodbc:
>
> specifying: driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0 ODBC Driver}
>
> Is that correct?

I don't think you have to specify the part "ODBC Driver", but I don't do
very much ODBC programming myself.

> The driver complains that it expects an ASCII character and is getting a
> byte greater than 128...

I would guess that you have a hard space, char(160) somewhere. Open your
text file in a binary editor to check for values > 7E.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: