From: Michael C on
"--CELKO--" <jcelko212(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You missed the point.
> A data element should have the same name in ALL
> databases, in ALL applications, ALL documentation, etc. There is more
> to the enterprise than just an SQL schema :)

So doesn't that mean that using a reserved word is ok? If the correct name
for something happens to be a reserved word in some obscure database what
are we do to?

> The ISO 11179 Standard gives you guidelines that boil down to "name a
> thing for what it is" and "be precise" in 25 words or less.
>
> And this kind of thing really matters. The DoD research found that
> good formatting and naming standards could save 8-12% of the cost of
> maintaining software systems. Since maintaining a system is 80% of the
> lifetime cost, this matters.

I completely agree with that.

From: Michael C on
"Gert-Jan Strik" <sorrytoomuchspamalready(a)xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> So you wouldn't be worried or confused if you read something like this:
>
> SELECT "GROUP" 'Group'
> FROM "GROUP"
> WHERE "GROUP".."GROUP" > 100
> GROUP BY "GROUP"
> ORDER BY 'Group'

Actually that would be a concern to me which is why I said readability would
be more of an issue for me than the non-issue of using [] or "". But there
are a lot of reserved words. For example, would calling a column Backup
really create any confusion?

Michael

From: --CELKO-- on
>> So doesn't that mean that using a reserved word is ok? If the correct name for something happens to be a reserved word in some obscure database what are we do to? <<

I have never seen that happen under ISO-11179 rules. The format is
<attribute>_<property> , so I cannot have "date" but must have a
particular kind of date -- hire_date, termination_date, birth_date,
etc.

The bad news is getting to a new industry and not knowing their common
terms. I owned bookstores once, so we had isbn (International
Standard Book Number), "san" (Standard Address Number), ddc (Dewey
Decimal Classification) and so forth. Medical is much worse. Once
you get over the learning curse .. er, curve, thigns fall into place
and you have a precise vocabulary already made for the database.
From: Michael C on
>>> So doesn't that mean that using a reserved word is ok? If the correct
>>> name for something happens to be a reserved word in some obscure
>>> database what are we do to? <<
>
> I have never seen that happen under ISO-11179 rules. The format is
> <attribute>_<property> , so I cannot have "date" but must have a
> particular kind of date -- hire_date, termination_date, birth_date,
> etc.
>
> The bad news is getting to a new industry and not knowing their common
> terms. I owned bookstores once, so we had isbn (International
> Standard Book Number), "san" (Standard Address Number), ddc (Dewey
> Decimal Classification) and so forth. Medical is much worse. Once
> you get over the learning curse .. er, curve, thigns fall into place
> and you have a precise vocabulary already made for the database.

I have to commend you Joe on providing an entire post with no insults, it's
good to see. Would this mean you would use first_name or first_name_varchar?
I presume you don't always put the data type in the name?

Michael

From: --CELKO-- on
>> Would this mean you would use first_name or first_name_varchar? I presume you don't always put the data type in the name? <<

You never put the data type in a data element name. That is HOW it is
physically stored, not WHAT it is. You had to do that in early BASIC
for the interpreter. A1 is numeric; $A1 is character.

There might be a question about whether to use "first_name" or
"<role>_first_name" in a table.