From: Daniel Prince on
I bought a new two-terabyte hard drive. I want to use it as a data
drive for now. In a few weeks, I intend to upgrade to a new
motherboard with a triple core CPU. At that time, I want to do a
clean install of XP on the new drive.

How should I partition my new drive so that I can put XP on it and
boot from it later? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
From: peter on
Just partition it into 3 part: one part for the DATA you wish to put on it,
another part for the XP
installation and the 3rd part for all the programs that you will be
installing.

When you install XP just be sure you pick the right partition.
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Daniel Prince on
"peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote:

>Just partition it into 3 part: one part for the DATA you wish to put on it,
>another part for the XP installation

Should this part be a primary partition? How big should I make it?

>and the 3rd part for all the programs that you will be
>installing.

Should the DATA and programs parts be logical volumes in an extended
partition?

--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
From: glee on
> "peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>Just partition it into 3 part: one part for the DATA you wish to put
>>on it,
>>another part for the XP installation
>
> Should this part be a primary partition? How big should I make it?
>
>>and the 3rd part for all the programs that you will be
>>installing.
>
> Should the DATA and programs parts be logical volumes in an extended
> partition?
>

>>When you install XP just be sure you pick the right partition.

Primary partition for OS
Extended partition with logical drives for the data and apps, if
desired.

This is old but still useful (like me):
Planning Your Partitions
http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Daave on
peter wrote:
> Just partition it into 3 part: one part for the DATA you wish to put
> on it, another part for the XP
> installation and the 3rd part for all the programs that you will be
> installing.

I strongly disagree.

While a separate partition for data is certainly a sound strategy, a
separate partition for applications is counterproductive since anytime
you install a program, countless changes will *also* be made to the OS
files. Therefore, one should install programs to the C: (i.e., system)
partition to keep everything together (also keep in mind that many
programs are written expecting they will be installed to C:). And there
is the bonus that you may now easily regularly image C: (which will
contain the OS plus the programs plus all the proper preferences,
settings, associated registry entries, etc.) with a progam such as
Acronis True Image as a means to avert disaster.