From: Billericay Pete on
A PC of mine running XP SP3 (all updates etc) has been running slow - a
couple of weeks ago I identified cidaemon.exe apparently using 99% CPU most
of the time. The PC is too slow to use effectively (eg a new explorer tab
takes about 20secs to open)
I understand that this is part of the indexing process but as it's been
going on for over 2 weeks now, surely something is amiss....?
I have rebooted a few times - run 'one-care' - it has firewall and AVG

Many thanks in advance
Pete

From: Unknown on
Have you run disk cleanup? Have you defragged? Is indexing off?

From: Billericay Pete on

"WaIIy" <WaIIy@(nft).invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:57:06 +0100, "Billericay Pete"
> <billericaypete(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>A PC of mine running XP SP3 (all updates etc) has been running slow - a
>>couple of weeks ago I identified cidaemon.exe apparently using 99% CPU
>>most
>>of the time. The PC is too slow to use effectively (eg a new explorer tab
>>takes about 20secs to open)
>>I understand that this is part of the indexing process but as it's been
>>going on for over 2 weeks now, surely something is amiss....?
>>I have rebooted a few times - run 'one-care' - it has firewall and AVG
>>
>>Many thanks in advance
>>Pete
>
> To resolve the issue, turn off the Indexing service. To turn off the
> Indexing service, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Double-click My Computer, point to Explorer Bar on the View menu,
> and then click Search.
> 2. Click Change preferences, and then click Without Indexing Service.
> 3. Click No, do not enable Indexing Service, and then click OK.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899869
>

> I just right click any hard drive in My Computer and uncheck Indexing
>

> I turn it off every WinXP computer I work on.

Many thanks - I'll try tomorrow
cheers
Pete

From: Peter Foldes on
Turn off the Indexing Service. First thing I do when I install a new OS for my
clients.
Start\Run\Services.msc\Indexing Service\Properties\Stop

--
Peter