From: Claire on
Hello,
I have copied 4 GB file into my VM and host Windows started
complaining about disk low space, so I deleted that file in VM.
However that did not satisfied my host, and VM reboot and finally VM
shutdown did not help.
How can I restore my VM to the previous size?
Thanks, Claire

From: Steve Jain on

"Claire" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have copied 4 GB file into my VM and host Windows started
> complaining about disk low space, so I deleted that file in VM.
> However that did not satisfied my host, and VM reboot and finally VM
> shutdown did not help.
> How can I restore my VM to the previous size?
> Thanks, Claire

You need to compact the VHD to reduce the size of it.
Step 1: Precompact. Mount the precompactor.iso from \program
files\microsoft virtual pc\virtual machine additions, and run it.
Step 2: Compact. Shut down the VM, run the Disk Wizard and compact the VHD.

You can get the detailed steps in the VPC help. Start VPC , go to help, type
"compact" and the first help result will give you step by step instructions
for compacting
From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:07:01 -0700, Steve Jain
<essjae(a)community.nospam> wrote:

>"Claire" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have copied 4 GB file into my VM and host Windows started
>> complaining about disk low space, so I deleted that file in VM.
>> However that did not satisfied my host, and VM reboot and finally VM
>> shutdown did not help.
>> How can I restore my VM to the previous size?
>> Thanks, Claire
>>

>You need to compact the VHD to reduce the size of it.
>Step 1: Precompact. Mount the precompactor.iso from \program
>files\microsoft virtual pc\virtual machine additions, and run it.
>Step 2: Compact. Shut down the VM, run the Disk Wizard and compact the VHD.
>
>You can get the detailed steps in the VPC help. Start VPC , go to help, type
>"compact" and the first help result will give you step by step instructions
>for compacting

But isn't there a requirement for doing this that there is at least as
much free space on the host drive as the original size of the VHD
file?
If so then the OP is hosed unless he supplies extra drive capacity...
--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Steve Jain on

"Bo Berglund" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:07:01 -0700, Steve Jain
> <essjae(a)community.nospam> wrote:
>

> >"Claire" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I have copied 4 GB file into my VM and host Windows started
> >> complaining about disk low space, so I deleted that file in VM.
> >> However that did not satisfied my host, and VM reboot and finally VM
> >> shutdown did not help.
> >> How can I restore my VM to the previous size?
> >> Thanks, Claire
> >>

> >You need to compact the VHD to reduce the size of it.
> >Step 1: Precompact. Mount the precompactor.iso from \program
> >files\microsoft virtual pc\virtual machine additions, and run it.
> >Step 2: Compact. Shut down the VM, run the Disk Wizard and compact the VHD.
> >
> >You can get the detailed steps in the VPC help. Start VPC , go to help, type
> >"compact" and the first help result will give you step by step instructions
> >for compacting
>
> But isn't there a requirement for doing this that there is at least as
> much free space on the host drive as the original size of the VHD
> file?
> If so then the OP is hosed unless he supplies extra drive capacity...
> --
>
> Bo Berglund (Sweden)
> .

Bo, I think you're correct. Its been a while since I've used VPC 2007,
moved to Windows VPC on Win7.