From: Tamar E. Granor Tamar E. on
Hoping you can help me solve a problem I've been beating on for a
while. I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 running Vista Ultimate SP2.

I installed VPC 2007 on this machine some time ago and have been using it
without difficulties. Recently, I ran into some issues with Eset Smart
Security
on this machine, which led me to a rather long cycle of install/uninstall for
that package. The initial problem was a prompt on every reboot to install a
driver for an "unknown device" that turned out to be something related to the
Eset product. That led to other issues. Ultimately, I decided to give up on
using Smart Security on this machine.

However, after finally uninstalling it for the last time, on every reboot, I
again get a prompt to install a driver for an "unknown device," but this time,
the unknown device is "Virtual Machine Network Services Driver." When I tell
it
to go ahead and install, the installation fails with the message "Insufficient
system resources exist to complete the required service."

I've searched for the problem online, and haven't found anything for my exact
problem. However, people do report issues with this driver, resulting in a
message on opening VPC 2007. I see that error message, as well.

I've tried all the solutions that I've found, including uninstalling and
reinstalling the driver through the Network applet, tweaking some registry
entries, most recently, increasing the permitted number of filter drivers in
the
registry.

Nothing has solved the problem. So I'm hoping someone here might have
another idea for me.

Thanks,
Tamar
From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:11:02 -0700, Tamar E. Granor <Tamar E.
Granor(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hoping you can help me solve a problem I've been beating on for a
>while. I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 running Vista Ultimate SP2.
>
>I installed VPC 2007 on this machine some time ago and have been using it
>without difficulties. Recently, I ran into some issues with Eset Smart
>Security
>on this machine, which led me to a rather long cycle of install/uninstall for
>that package. The initial problem was a prompt on every reboot to install a
>driver for an "unknown device" that turned out to be something related to the
>Eset product. That led to other issues. Ultimately, I decided to give up on
>using Smart Security on this machine.
>
>However, after finally uninstalling it for the last time, on every reboot, I
>again get a prompt to install a driver for an "unknown device," but this time,
>the unknown device is "Virtual Machine Network Services Driver." When I tell
>it
>to go ahead and install, the installation fails with the message "Insufficient
>system resources exist to complete the required service."
>
>I've searched for the problem online, and haven't found anything for my exact
>problem. However, people do report issues with this driver, resulting in a
>message on opening VPC 2007. I see that error message, as well.
>
>I've tried all the solutions that I've found, including uninstalling and
>reinstalling the driver through the Network applet, tweaking some registry
>entries, most recently, increasing the permitted number of filter drivers in
>the
>registry.
>
>Nothing has solved the problem. So I'm hoping someone here might have
>another idea for me.
>
>Thanks,
>Tamar

Reinstall VPC2007 (or first uninstall, then reboot, then install
VPC2007). THis will not touch your virtual machines but will reinstate
all needed drivers.
But make double sure "Eset Smart Security" is permanently and
completely removed from the host first.
And by the way, what is so *smart* about these products that always
seem to intrude on your usage of your PC, like yesterday MacAfee
pulled down nearly a million PC:s worldwide?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Tamar E. Granor on

"Bo Berglund" wrote:

> Reinstall VPC2007 (or first uninstall, then reboot, then install
> VPC2007). THis will not touch your virtual machines but will reinstate
> all needed drivers.
> But make double sure "Eset Smart Security" is permanently and
> completely removed from the host first.
> And by the way, what is so *smart* about these products that always
> seem to intrude on your usage of your PC, like yesterday MacAfee
> pulled down nearly a million PC:s worldwide?

I had tried that before I posted, but just in case, I poked around for any
remaining Eset components (found nothing except in Program Data, which I
deleted) and then did it again.

I'm still getting the prompt at reboot and the failure to install when I
allow it to try.

Tamar
From: Tamar E. Granor on
I'm still looking for a solution here. Does anyone have any other ideas?