From: Unruh on
Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> writes:

>I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
>I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:

>for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done

>but I got:
>convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
>wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710

>for each image.

You need to tell it where to put that converted image. It does not do it
"in place"

From: rich on
On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:21:55 -0500, Richard Kimber wrote:

> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
> I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>
> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>
> but I got:
> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>
> for each image.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?
>
> - Richard Kimber

If you want a gui you could try Phatch - a batch image converter.

Its a python app with a .deb for ubuntu and instructions for other OS's.
I used the .deb on my Mepis (debian) system and Phatch works fine.

--
rich
From: Geoffrey Clements on

"Unruh" <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> writes:
>
>>I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
>>I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>
>>for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>
>>but I got:
>>convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
>>wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>
>>for each image.
>
> You need to tell it where to put that converted image. It does not do it
> "in place"

but _if_ you did want to convert "in place" then mogrify is the command to
use.

--
Geoff

From: rich on
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 07:55:44 +0000, rich wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:21:55 -0500, Richard Kimber wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of
>> 700. I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>>
>> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>>
>> but I got:
>> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
>> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>>
>> for each image.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?
>>
>> - Richard Kimber
>
> If you want a gui you could try Phatch - a batch image converter.
>
> Its a python app with a .deb for ubuntu and instructions for other OS's.
> I used the .deb on my Mepis (debian) system and Phatch works fine.

probably best just to forget this one. I have
phatch_0.2.0.bzr936-0ubuntu1~8.10~ppa1_all.deb installed

The latest phatch 0.2.1 has an added dependency - Blender of all things.
Any one who wants the debs & there is still the old version 1.6 That
works ok should see

http://ppa.launchpad.net/stani/ubuntu/pool/main/p/phatch/

--
rich
From: rich on
On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:21:55 -0500, Richard Kimber wrote:

> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
> I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>
> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>
> but I got:
> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>
> for each image.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?
>
> - Richard Kimber

Another possibility - a bash script I sometimes use bbips.sh

Its a good old menu driven front-end for imagemagick. I can't find the
download anymore, seem to remember it was a university site so I have
popped it onto rapidshare if anyone is brave enough to try it.
http://rapidshare.com/files/289313592/bbips.sh

There are the individual components of the above, including the resize
script at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bbips/

--
rich