From: Richard Kimber on
I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:

for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done

but I got:
convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710

for each image.

What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?

- Richard Kimber
--
Political Science Resources
http://www.politicsresources.net/

From: Folderol on
On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:21:55 -0500
Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
> I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>
> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>
> but I got:
> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>
> for each image.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?
>
> - Richard Kimber

If you don't have too many, why not load them into the GIMP and do the
resize there?

--
Will J G
From: Simon J. Rowe on
Richard Kimber wrote:

> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710

Have you got filenames with spaces in them? Try quoting the filename, .i.e.

for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 "$files"; done

Simon

From: Bruce Stephens on
Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> writes:

> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of 700.
> I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:
>
> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done
>
> but I got:
> convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710
>
> for each image.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there another tool that might do it?

"convert" needs two filenames: input and output.
From: Alan J. Wylie on
On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:21:55 -0500, Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> said:

> I'm trying to resize some images in a directory to have a height of
> 700. I thought the imagemagick 'convert' would do it, so I did:

> for files in *.jpg; do convert -resize x700 $files; done

> but I got: convert: missing an image filename `img_1385.jpg' @
> wand/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2710

> for each image.

> What am I doing wrong?

Convert needs an output file name too. Using the same filename as the
input seems to work.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/