From: SusanB on
Related question: If I set up my project the same way Marni did, but I should
have done it the way you describe, in order to 'fix' my project and get MSP
to eliminate the 1600% resource allocations, do I re-enter the tasks the
'right' way?

From: SusanB on
Also, when you say "specifying work in the Task form" you mean "selecting
Fixed Work from the Task Type drop-down on the Advanced tab of the Task
Information dialog box" right? Because in my version of MSP 2003 --
(11.3.2007.1529.15) SP3 -- there is no "Work" field in this dialog box, only
a "Duration" field.
Thanks!

From: JulieS on
Hello SusanB,

No I'm talking about the Task Form which you can show in the
lower pane underneath the Gantt chart. From the Gantt Chart
view, choose Window > Split to show the Task Form. By using the
task form, you can view and enter work, duration, or assignment
units. You may also easily change task type and select
effort-driven or non-effort driven as needed.

If you have wildly overallocated resources in the Task Form enter
the max. units for the resource (usually 100%) in the units
field. If the task is fixed work or fixed units, the duration of
the task will change.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 3/31/2010 5:47 PM, SusanB wrote:
> Also, when you say "specifying work in the Task form" you mean "selecting
> Fixed Work from the Task Type drop-down on the Advanced tab of the Task
> Information dialog box" right? Because in my version of MSP 2003 --
> (11.3.2007.1529.15) SP3 -- there is no "Work" field in this dialog box, only
> a "Duration" field.
> Thanks!
>
> "JulieS" wrote:
>
>> Hi Marni,
>>
>> PMFJI, but no, this isn't a bug in Project 2000. I can easily reproduce the
>> the scenario you describe in both Project 2003 and 2002. You entered work in
>> a fixed work task type without assigning resources, and when you actually
>> assign the resources to the task you are forcing project to calculate the
>> Unit % to try to fit the amount of work you specified into the duration of
>> the task.
>>
>> With fixed work tasks you should not enter Work into the Work column until
>> you have your resources assigned. Assign your resources to the task
>> specifying work in the Task Form and let Project calculate the duration of
>> the task. By default, it will use the maximum units for the resource
>> (assuming max. of 100% or less). If you then change the total work on the
>> task (by changing the Work field in a Task View) Project will just adjust the
>> duration accordingly.
>>
>> Hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>>
>> "Marni" wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible that I'm running a version of MSP that has a bug in it? I'm in
>>> MSP 2000, version 9.0.2000.0224.
>>>
>>> Marni

Pages: 1
Prev: % complete