From: kinetix on

Didn't get any responses to a previous post on this. I would like to be
able to show a "simple" % complete. It can be based on elapsed % (as of
data date) of total planned duration. Sometimes I would prefer to punch
in a %. If I do that now, it changes the end dates and that's not okay.
This shouldn't be difficult but it's eluding me. thanks

--
kinetix
kinetix's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116990.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Trevor Rabey on
Why do you want to show this number, and who do you want to show it to, and
what information will they be able to derive from it (especially if they do
not understand what it is)?
% Complete = actual duration/total duration, and that's all it is.
% Complete is this one thing, and one thing only, and by itself is not very
useful.
50% Complete could be 2 days actual out of 4 days total, or it could be 5
days actual out of 10 days total.
Unless you know the numerator and denominator, % Complete is ambiguous.

Your mention of "total planned duration" is not quite right.
Total Duration includes both the Actual Duration and the Remaining Duration.
The first is a fact, and the second is the "planned" part.

If you punch in % Complete and get bad, unexpected results, doesn't this
suggest that it is not a good idea?

Try this.
Set up a new file with one 10 day task.
Set the Status Date to day 6.
Use the Tracking Table to input the actual start and actual duration.
If we assume that the task started on the planned start date, the actual
duration can be anything up to but no nore than 6 days.
Suppose it is 6 days. % Complete will be calculated by MSP as 60%
There is no need for you to type it in.
Have a look at the Tracking Toolbar, especially the 2nd and 3rd buttons from
the left.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: JulieS on
If you wish to be able to manually gauge % complete, consider
using the Physical % complete field.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project