From: Jarryd on
Hi,

Is there a Resource Kit for Windows 2008? I run SBS 2008 and need to add a
service. The only what I know how to do this is with SRVANY.exe. Is it
fine to simply install the 2003 kit?

TIA,

Jarryd

From: Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] on
Hi Jarryd,

I could only find this...

srvany.exe does not exist on w2k8 R2: how do I configure a windows Service
with sc.exe
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/2339fb98-ab63-4d1d-913c-318b06e0a837/

Possible workaround...

Application as a Service "srvany.exe" in Windows Server 2008
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverMigration/thread/98a97aee-c62b-4683-94ab-3777899cf7de

1.At the time of this posting, there is no Windows Server 2008 Resource Kit
Tools, so get the "srvany.exe " from the "Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit
Tools " and copy it to a suitable location on your Win2008 server (e.g.
C:\Windows\System32\ ).
2.Use "sc " to create a new service that launches "srvany " (e.g. sc create
MyService binPath= C:\Windows\System32\srvany.exe DisplayName= "My Custom
Service" )
3.Using RegEdit : create a "Parameters " key for your service (e.g.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyService\Paramaters\ )
4.Using RegEdit : within the newly created "Parameters " key , create a
string value called "Application " and enter the full path to the
application you are wanting to run as a service. (No quotes required.)

Note : some applications store their settings in a user hive, not under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, so you will need to run the application to configure it,
and then configure the service to run as that user.

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

From: Jarryd on
Hi Merv,

Thanks for the reply.