From: Bob Harris on
In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
> power disconnect?
>
> Let me give more detail. Suppose that you have a Mac running as a
> server for some purposes. It is connected to a UPS. It has a UPS
> controller (in this case apcupsd) running. The AC goes off and the UPS
> goes on battery. When the battery falls below a certain threshold, the
> Mac shuts down, but also issues instructions to the UPS to shutdown in
> say 120 seconds. So the Mac has shutdown while power is still available
> (though not for long).
>
> When the AC comes back up, the UPS will start supplying power to the
> Mac. Can we get an automatic reboot under these circumstances?
>
> -j

You have told the system to shudown, so unless you have a
scheduled restart
system preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule ...
than I don't think there is a way to get your Mac to startup just
because power has come back.

But you could at least experiment with
system preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options
Automatic restart after power failure
But I suspect the normal shutdown will inhibit this.

HOWEVER, Maybe one of the <http://www.sophisticated.com/> devices
might help in this situation. For example:

Kick-off!
Automatic monitoring and crash recovery device for your USB server
or kiosk. Cross-platform.

PowerKey Pro 650
The "Admin" version of our newest power strip offers crash
monitoring and advanced power management via schedule or telephone
for USB Macs.

Bob Harris
From: Malcolm on
On 2006-09-08 17:57:07 -0400, Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> said:

> Gerry wrote:
>> In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>,
>> Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
>>> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
>>> power disconnect?
>>
>> System Preferences / Energy Saver / Optimization: Custom / Options
>> Click option: Restart automatically after a power failure.
>
> Sorry. That won't work because from the Mac's point of view it did a
> proper shutdown instead of having the power cut off.
>
> What I'd like to do is have it shutdown cleanly, but restart as if it
> had suffered a power failure.
>
> -j

Have the Mac shutdown all the applications, and send the shutdown
command to the UPS, but not shut itself down. The delay before the UPS
shuts down will give plenty of time for the disk caches to be flushed.
If you are concerned about this, you could have it run a script to
dismount all drives except the boot disk. Let the power fail with the
Mac running. The disk is journaled, so there should be no file system
damage, and restart is fast with journaled disks.

From: Silicon Sam on

Malcolm wrote:
> On 2006-09-08 17:57:07 -0400, Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> said:
>
> > Gerry wrote:

Back in the way olden days, I think it started with maybe the Mac
IIcx, you could turn the power button 90 degrees so it acted like it
was always pushed in. So in your case when the power came back on,
it'd be like you were there to push the power button.

If it were me, I would take a 6062 timer from Altronix, and do a
one-shot output on it. Plug it into the wall outlet, not the UPS. Tie
the output of the timer to the power button circuit so that when the
timer gets power, it does a one-shot output of the power button on the
Mac.

So when power is live, nothing happens. Power goes out, UPS shuts
down, the Mac, etc.. As soon as the power comes back on, the timer
starts. After 10 seconds or so, the timer fires the output once, and
triggers the power on sequence of the Mac.

Raymond

From: Hans Aberg on
In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>, jeffrey+news(a)goldmark.org
wrote:

> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
> power disconnect?
>
> Let me give more detail. Suppose that you have a Mac running as a
> server for some purposes. It is connected to a UPS. ...

And UPS is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Package_Smashers
http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/
[Just added for entertainment. :-)]

--
Hans Aberg
From: zit on
JollyRoger wrote:
> Most Wintel PCs allow you to set whether or not they power off when you shut
> down the operating system. Macs don't appear to have such an option.

Macs *appear* to have such an option, "sudo shutdown -h"
but it is ignored and "sudo shutdown -p"
is done instead, so they don't really have it :)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Training SpamAssassin
Next: Recovered Files Curious About ?