From: Jeffrey Goldberg on
Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
power disconnect?

Let me give more detail. Suppose that you have a Mac running as a
server for some purposes. It is connected to a UPS. It has a UPS
controller (in this case apcupsd) running. The AC goes off and the UPS
goes on battery. When the battery falls below a certain threshold, the
Mac shuts down, but also issues instructions to the UPS to shutdown in
say 120 seconds. So the Mac has shutdown while power is still available
(though not for long).

When the AC comes back up, the UPS will start supplying power to the
Mac. Can we get an automatic reboot under these circumstances?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read top-posted, over-quoted or HTML posts
From: Gerry on
In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
> power disconnect?

System Preferences / Energy Saver / Optimization: Custom / Options
Click option: Restart automatically after a power failure.
From: JollyRoger on
Gerry, I think you misunderstood the question.

The scenario is:

The Mac in question is connected to a UPS with a USB cable. When a power
outage occurs, the UPS signals the Mac, and the UPS software (in this case
apcupsd) shuts the Mac down - in response, the Mac powers off the CPU.

Later, when power is restored, the Mac DOES NOT automatically restart
(regardless of the setting you mention), because it interprets the UPS
initiated shutdown as a normal shutdown rather than a power failure.

Most Wintel PCs allow you to set whether or not they power off when you shut
down the operating system. Macs don't appear to have such an option.

So the question is can you shut down Mac OS X in such a way that the
operating system is shut down, but the power to the computer is still on
(like you can with most PCs)?

-JR

On 9/8/06 1:58 PM, in article
abc-784924.11585908092006(a)news.west.earthlink.net, "Gerry" <abc(a)def.ghi>

From: Jeffrey Goldberg on
Gerry wrote:
> In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>,
> Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
>> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
>> power disconnect?
>
> System Preferences / Energy Saver / Optimization: Custom / Options
> Click option: Restart automatically after a power failure.

Sorry. That won't work because from the Mac's point of view it did a
proper shutdown instead of having the power cut off.

What I'd like to do is have it shutdown cleanly, but restart as if it
had suffered a power failure.

-j

From: Tom Stiller on
In article <12g3ppimqae4s4b(a)news.supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:

> Gerry wrote:
> > In article <12g3clbjjlmko62(a)news.supernews.com>,
> > Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to shutdown a Mac when the power is still on in a way
> >> that it will automatically restart when the power comes back on after a
> >> power disconnect?
> >
> > System Preferences / Energy Saver / Optimization: Custom / Options
> > Click option: Restart automatically after a power failure.
>
> Sorry. That won't work because from the Mac's point of view it did a
> proper shutdown instead of having the power cut off.
>
> What I'd like to do is have it shutdown cleanly, but restart as if it
> had suffered a power failure.

Is it your intention to initiate a remote startup of a Mac?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF