From: John. on
I've tried downloading the KB917607 file from the Microsoft link
below, but when I try to install it, I get a message "does not apply
to this version of Vista." (I then tried both 32 and 64 versions with
same results.)

I have Vista Home Premium SP1

I even looked in the registry entry for the Microsoft/winhelp key and
it wasn't there, so I'm pretty sure it's not already installed.

Has anyone tried recently to get the Help function of Eudora to work
with Vista? Any suggestions?

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:09:27 -0500, John wrote:

> I've tried downloading the KB917607 file from the Microsoft link
> below, but when I try to install it, I get a message "does not apply
> to this version of Vista."

Did you send feedback about that to Microsoft?
Or call them for support? Or post on their own help forums?

What exact type is your CPU, and what is the name of the file you downloaded?

Opening the Eudora PDF manual is a whole lot better anyway :)
[it's the same material, usually word for word!]

From: John. on
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:34:47 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:09:27 -0500, John wrote:
>
>> I've tried downloading the KB917607 file from the Microsoft link
>> below, but when I try to install it, I get a message "does not apply
>> to this version of Vista."
>
>Did you send feedback about that to Microsoft?
>Or call them for support? Or post on their own help forums?

I tried to open a problem with Microsoft, until I found out it cost
$60.
Where are the free Microsoft help forums?

>What exact type is your CPU, and what is the name of the file you downloaded?

Intel Core 2 6600 (Dell XPS 410)

Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu

which I got from here:

From: John H Meyers on
[it's purely a Windows problem,
but people still try to solve it in a Eudora forum :]

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:22:57 -0500:

> Intel Core 2 6600 (Dell XPS 410)
> Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu
> which I got from here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Have you tried the other "msu" file?

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-xps-410-desktop/4507-3118_7-31986893.html?tag=mncol;psum
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8
http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm?iid=prod_core2duo+tab_spec
http://207.46.197.98/Windows/en-US/Help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx

> Where are the free Microsoft help forums?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Search for "winhlp32" and see what turns up, e.g.:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=98b8818d-0115-465b-a727-8eebf078eb9e

http://stcforum.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2568

The following link contains answers varying between specific instructions
which solved the problem, to "didn't work here" -- so try your own luck:
TechNet Forums > Windows Vista IT Pro > Windows Vista Applications > WinHlp32.exe
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=752282&SiteID=17
(note that as far as I can see, nothing on this page is dated!)

Success announced here (with "Corel Draw," but it applies to ALL applications):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&tid=3758a1c9-90ea-485d-8688-d7aceaedca72

Another easy solution claim:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09/10/how-to-view-old-help-files-in-windows-vista/

Some of the above links contain "usenet" newsgroup names in their URL,
so perhaps it would be easier to skip Microsoft's clunky system (and huge long URLs)
and simply search the normal usenet newsgroups pertaining to Vista.

Don't forget, if you bought one of the more expensive versions of Vista,
it came with the right to keep on using XP!

Whereas the cheap versions of Vista do not give you that right!

(isn't it just like elsewhere in society, such as poor neighborhoods
where food prices are higher than in affluent neighborhoods?)

"The rich get rich, and the poor get poorer"

From: John H Meyers on
Here is someone who seems to know exactly what he's talking about,
and mentions some detail not seen elsewhere:

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winservergen/thread/ec2f409d-72d7-4e0f-a776-0218bc552e99/
(this is a real Microsoft forum)

It does seem to indicate that there's a simple answer,
since the download (offering two "msu" files) says that
it applies to all Vista (and server) versions that I've ever heard of:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6ebcfad9-d3f5-4365-8070-334cd175d4bb

"Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista; Windows Vista Business;
Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Business N;
Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition;
Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition;
Windows Vista Home Basic N; Windows Vista Home Premium;
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Starter;
Windows Vista Starter N; Windows Vista Ultimate;
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition"

Good luck!