From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 04:18:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
>> available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is
>> free. I think in your case it would be the best option because it
>> operates through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since you have RAID
>> disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate those RAID
>> disks itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that.
>
>Most modern cloners do that the same way.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using Acronis True Image 2009 to clone an
XP image on a laptop. The target drive is attached via USB. Everything
seems to work fine, and Acronis Disk Director shows the target drive
to be bootable. Yet, when I insert the cloned drive into my laptop,
the system just hangs ... and hangs ... forever.

-AH
From: Arno on
Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 04:18:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
>>> available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is
>>> free. I think in your case it would be the best option because it
>>> operates through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since you have RAID
>>> disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate those RAID
>>> disks itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that.
>>
>>Most modern cloners do that the same way.

> What am I doing wrong? I'm using Acronis True Image 2009 to clone an
> XP image on a laptop. The target drive is attached via USB. Everything
> seems to work fine, and Acronis Disk Director shows the target drive
> to be bootable. Yet, when I insert the cloned drive into my laptop,
> the system just hangs ... and hangs ... forever.

Could be a geomattry translation issue. USB uses the SCSI
command set, which basically does a "LBA32" or "LBA64", while
SATA uses LBA24 or LBA48. Maybe this leads to the MBR not
finding the boot partition.

You could try an alternate bootmanager.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> What am I doing wrong? I'm using Acronis True Image 2009 to clone an
> XP image on a laptop. The target drive is attached via USB. Everything
> seems to work fine, and Acronis Disk Director shows the target drive
> to be bootable. Yet, when I insert the cloned drive into my laptop,
> the system just hangs ... and hangs ... forever.

Is the laptop able to boot from USB? If so, then is the Master Boot
Record set to active for the boot partition? Is it possible to take the
drive out of its USB enclosure and put it directly into the laptop?

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Andrew Hamilton wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
>>> available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is
>>> free. I think in your case it would be the best option because it
>>> operates through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since
>>> you have RAID disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate
>>> those RAID disks itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that.

>> Most modern cloners do that the same way.

> What am I doing wrong? I'm using Acronis True Image 2009 to clone
> an XP image on a laptop. The target drive is attached via USB. Everything
> seems to work fine, and Acronis Disk Director shows the target drive
> to be bootable. Yet, when I insert the cloned drive into my laptop,
> the system just hangs ... and hangs ... forever.

Are you cloning the partition or the entire physical drive ?

Most laptops have a special boot partition that is essential for booting on the laptop.

Even if you are cloning the entire physical drive, the boot
partition the laptop requires may not be properly allowing
for the different physical size of the two drives.