From: colblip on
Hello, All!

I have a RAID0 setup using 2 80 gb drives for my OS drive. I would like to
restore this on a 1TB drive. I use Ghost for my backups so I have an image
of the drive. Is it possible to restore on the TB drive and use it as my OS
drive?

Thanks,

Colonel Blip
E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

From: Rod Speed on
colblip wrote:

> Hello, All!

All hanged himself, got too many posts.

> I have a RAID0 setup using 2 80 gb drives for my OS drive. I would like to restore this on a 1TB drive. I use Ghost
> for my backups so I have an image of the drive. Is it possible to restore on the TB drive and use it as my OS drive?

Yes, the restore doesnt care what its restored too, all it needs is a viable drive.

You might have to do a repair install after the restore if the RAID0 setup uses drivers for that.

From: Yousuf Khan on
colblip wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> I have a RAID0 setup using 2 80 gb drives for my OS drive. I would like to
> restore this on a 1TB drive. I use Ghost for my backups so I have an image
> of the drive. Is it possible to restore on the TB drive and use it as my OS
> drive?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colonel Blip
> E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is free. I
think in your case it would be the best option because it operates
through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since you have RAID
disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate those RAID disks
itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that. You can then copy
the 80GB partition over to an empty partition that you have already
created on the 1TB drive. Also since it's operating at the OS level, you
don't have to make the partition exactly identical in size to the original.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> colblip wrote:
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> I have a RAID0 setup using 2 80 gb drives for my OS drive. I would
>> like to restore this on a 1TB drive. I use Ghost for my backups so I
>> have an image of the drive. Is it possible to restore on the TB
>> drive and use it as my OS drive?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Colonel Blip
>> E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com
>
> Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
> available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is
> free. I think in your case it would be the best option because it
> operates through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since you have RAID
> disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate those RAID
> disks itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that.

Most modern cloners do that the same way.

> You can then copy the 80GB partition over to an empty partition that you have already created on the 1TB drive. Also
> since it's operating at the OS level, you don't have to make the partition exactly identical in size to the original.

Hardly any modern cloners require the same size as the original.

From: colblip on
Thanks for the help. I knew I could set up a same size partition on the new
drive and make the clone but I intend to keep the new drive with a much
larger partition than my current raid setup.

BTW, "All" of you were helpful. :-)

Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Tue, 9 Mar 2010 04:18:30 +1100:

RS> Yousuf Khan wrote:
??>> colblip wrote:
??>>> Hello, All!
??>>>
??>>> I have a RAID0 setup using 2 80 gb drives for my OS drive. I would
??>>> like to restore this on a 1TB drive. I use Ghost for my backups so I
??>>> have an image of the drive. Is it possible to restore on the TB
??>>> drive and use it as my OS drive?
??>>>
??>>> Thanks,
??>>>
??>>> Colonel Blip
??>>> E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com
??>>
??>> Yes, in order to migrate a boot partition, there are various tools
??>> available. One of them that I would suggest is XXClone, which is
??>> free. I think in your case it would be the best option because it
??>> operates through the Windows OS rather than outside of it. Since you
??>> have RAID disks, the XXClone doesn't need to know how to operate those
??>> RAID disks itself, it just lets Windows take care of all of that.

RS> Most modern cloners do that the same way.

??>> You can then copy the 80GB partition over to an empty partition that
??>> you have already created on the 1TB drive. Also since it's operating
??>> at the OS level, you don't have to make the partition exactly
??>> identical in size to the original.

With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com