From: mahmad on
Hi,
I want to create a new search page which users will use to search for
particular information from MS SQL database.

How do i go about creating the search form and the results form.

thanks for your help

Mo
From: Ronx on
What scripting language do you intend to use?

If asp.NET the use Visual Web Developer Express instead of FrontPage, and
look at the tutorials at
www.HomePagedoctor.com/Tutorials.htm . Consider using Expression Web for
designing the page layout.
VWDE is a free download from
http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/
and a 60 day trial for Expression Web from
http://www.microsoft.com/expression

If "classic" ASP, then look at the database results and database interface
wizards in FrontPage

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

From: mahmad on
Hi Ronx,

I am using html for the rest of the pages and asp for the datasbase part. I
am using my Vista pc as the server. I have run the frontpage db wizard and
it produces a search field, is able to connect to my external db via odbc,
but when i type a word and click on search nothing happens.

cheers

Mo

From: Ronx on
I have used FrontPage 2003 to set up a test page, with IIS7 on Windows 7 and
SQL server 2005 and have no problems - the results are as expected. A copy
of this page is at
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/sqlserver-test.asp
but is unlikely to give any clues as to why your page fails.

The database connection I used was created using the "SQL Server" option
from the Database Results Wizard.

Check that your server is configured to use parent paths - the DBR uses
these extensively.

Also, open _fpclass/fbdbrgn1.inc in FrontPage, and at line 19
change fp_DEBUG = False to fp_DEBUG = True

This should enable any errors to be displayed.
--

> Hi Ronx,
>
> I am using html for the rest of the pages and asp for the datasbase part.
> am using my Vista pc as the server. I have run the frontpage db wizard
> and
> it produces a search field, is able to connect to my external db via odbc,
> but when i type a word and click on search nothing happens.
>
> cheers
>
> Mo
>
> "Ronx" wrote:
>
>> What scripting language do you intend to use?
>>
>> If asp.NET the use Visual Web Developer Express instead of FrontPage,
>> and
>> look at the tutorials at
>> www.HomePagedoctor.com/Tutorials.htm . Consider using Expression Web
>> for
>> designing the page layout.
>> VWDE is a free download from
>> http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/
>> and a 60 day trial for Expression Web from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/expression
>>
>> If "classic" ASP, then look at the database results and database
>> interface
>> wizards in FrontPage
>>
>> --
>> Ron Symonds
>> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
>>
>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>>

>> "mahmad" <mahmad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I want to create a new search page which users will use to search for
>> > particular information from MS SQL database.
>> >
>> > How do i go about creating the search form and the results form.
>> >
>> > thanks for your help
>> >
>> > Mo
>>
>> .

Pages: 1