From: Antartica Solutions - Lars Hallin on
Hi all,

Is there a smart way to handle project revenues in MSP? What I am looking
for is a method to visualize both cost and income as a result of the
project, for example when presenting for a steering group in a Go/No Go
meeting.

Cheers
Lars

From: Trevor Rabey on
Income/revenue is just negative cost.
MSP accepts negative costs in the std rate, ovt rate and cost per use fields
in the resource sheet.
It also accepts negative costs in the fixed cost field of the cost tanle for
the tasks.
You have to decide which way you want to do it but I often define progress
claim/payment milestones which have a stack of tasks as predecessors, and a
negative fixed cost (no need to make a dummy revenue resource).
Of course, if you mix cost and revenue the overall cost is the net.
Hopefully, most projects make a profit so the overall net cost should be
some negative dollars.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
IMHO, Project is the wrong tool to use for projecting and tracking revenues.
The costs of a project are accrued as the work is done and deal with the
direct, internal, costs of doing the work itself. But billings and revenues
need to take into account many more factors beyond the direct costs of work
performed such as overheads, cost of capital, etc. The timing of revenues
is not always related to the timing of the work on the project in any simply
way either - you may bill up-front, your client may be on net 30 or 60, you
may or may not have progress payments and they may be related to specific
deliverables or only the passage of time, different work may have different
billing rates - it all just becomes a nightmare of complexity. Use Project
for estimating your costs, export that information into Excel, and go from
there to add the revenues.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant