From: Paul A. Clayton on
On Oct 23, 4:38 pm, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <IpqdnUOUWcd0BnzXnZ2dnUVZ_oydn...(a)bestweb.net>,
> Mayan Moudgill  <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> >Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>
> >> Go
> >> optical, and you have costs, but the long distance costs may be less,
> >> encouraging more, simpler, processors.
>
> >Optical? In a commodity process? For high speed communication?
>
> >  Unless someone has actually managed to get a
> >standard-process-compatible laser, not going to happen. Costs are too
> >high. I was excited by the iron implant stuff and strained silicon but I
> >don't think they ever made it out of the laboratory. Anyone know enough
> >to comment?
>
> Not on that.  But the fact that serious money is still going into
> research in this area, despite decades of next to no progress,
> indicates that the manufacturers are very aware of the potential.
>
> The last plausible idea I heard was lasers pumping in to silicon
> optical switches, but that one seems to have gone awfully quiet.
>
> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

I am extremely ignorant, but the technology for Light Peak
(http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=220400011)
seems to indicate that _some_ progress is being made.

Paul A. Clayton
just a technophile
From: Mayan Moudgill on
Del Cecchi wrote:
> "Mayan Moudgill" <mayan(a)bestweb.net> wrote in message
>
>>Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>>

>>>Go optical, and you have costs, but the long distance costs may be
>>>less, encouraging more, simpler, processors.
>>>

>>Optical? In a commodity process? For high speed communication?
>>
>> Unless someone has actually managed to get a
>>standard-process-compatible laser, not going to happen. Costs are
>>too high. I was excited by the iron implant stuff and strained
>>silicon but I don't think they ever made it out of the laboratory.
>>Anyone know enough to comment?
>>
>>An alternate transport mechanism (when using flip-chip) is to drive
>>the signal out to the carrier (specially if it's ceramic) and then
>>use that as the high-speed long-haul layer.
>>
>>[BTW: I'm not sure if its possible to use diodes to do high speed
>>optical communication; anyone know?]
>

> Not silicon diodes for transmission.
>
> As for using the ceramic, you are about 30 years late. see TCM for
> example. IBM even went to some expense to upgrade the material from
> Alumina to Glass Ceramic to improve propagation.

Course I knew that; I was just pointing out that there are alternatives.

> Also LEDs are pretty lacking in bandwidth compared to lasers. But
> since silicon is indirect band gap the point is moot.

Which is why strained silicon and iron-alloys were interesting; they had
the potential to convert the indirect bandgap into direct band-gap.

Another intriguing possibility is some meta-material/nano-structure
property; maybe by creating a correctly dimensioned cavity?

From: Mayan Moudgill on
Paul A. Clayton wrote:

> On Oct 23, 4:38 pm, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
>
>>In article <IpqdnUOUWcd0BnzXnZ2dnUVZ_oydn...(a)bestweb.net>,
>>Mayan Moudgill <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:

>>>Optical? In a commodity process? For high speed communication?
>>
>>> Unless someone has actually managed to get a
>>>standard-process-compatible laser, not going to happen. Costs are too
>>>high. I was excited by the iron implant stuff and strained silicon but I
>>>don't think they ever made it out of the laboratory. Anyone know enough
>>>to comment?
>>
>>Not on that. But the fact that serious money is still going into
>>research in this area, despite decades of next to no progress,
>>indicates that the manufacturers are very aware of the potential.
>>
>>The last plausible idea I heard was lasers pumping in to silicon
>>optical switches, but that one seems to have gone awfully quiet.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Nick Maclaren.
>

> I am extremely ignorant, but the technology for Light Peak
> (http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?
> articleID=220400011)
> seems to indicate that _some_ progress is being made.
>

> Paul A. Clayton
> just a technophile

SiGe; way $$$ compared to straight Si.
From: Robert Myers on
On Oct 23, 8:05 am, Mayan Moudgill <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:
> Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> > Go
> > optical, and you have costs, but the long distance costs may be less,
> > encouraging more, simpler, processors.
>
> Optical? In a commodity process? For high speed communication?

http://www.technologyreview.com/infotech/18087/?a=f

<quote>

"The Intel group has essentially been debunking the myth that silicon
isn't good for photonics," says Alan Willner, professor of electrical
engineering at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
And while the silicon laser is important, he says, a fast modulator is
crucial. Today's state-of-the-art modulators work at 40 gigabits per
second, and for silicon to compete as an optical material, it needs to
operate at comparable speeds. Intel's 30-gigabit-per-second silicon
modulator is thus "a big deal," he says.

</quote>

The article also talks about Intel's silicon laser, which I assume is
one of the things you are saying hasn't made it out of the laboratory.

I don't think devices like this can work with an LED transmitter
because they manipulate phase.

Robert.
From: Mayan Moudgill on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Oct 23, 8:05 am, Mayan Moudgill <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:
>
>>Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>>
>>>Go
>>>optical, and you have costs, but the long distance costs may be less,
>>>encouraging more, simpler, processors.
>>
>>Optical? In a commodity process? For high speed communication?
>>

> http://www.technologyreview.com/infotech/18087/?a=f
>
> <quote>
>
> "The Intel group has essentially been debunking the myth that silicon
> isn't good for photonics," says Alan Willner, professor of electrical
> engineering at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
> And while the silicon laser is important, he says, a fast modulator is
> crucial. Today's state-of-the-art modulators work at 40 gigabits per
> second, and for silicon to compete as an optical material, it needs to
> operate at comparable speeds. Intel's 30-gigabit-per-second silicon
> modulator is thus "a big deal," he says.
>
> </quote>
>
> The article also talks about Intel's silicon laser, which I assume is
> one of the things you are saying hasn't made it out of the laboratory.
>
> I don't think devices like this can work with an LED transmitter
> because they manipulate phase.
>
> Robert.

Following the links to a prior article
http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=moores&id=17519
its clear that they are using a separately constructed InP emitter
which they bond to the silicon. Sorry, doesn't make it cheap. And
they're probably using MEMs-like stuff to get a cavity. That stuff's
been looked at before.

They're bonding a InP emitter onto a Si cavity - the advance may be in
the way they're doing the bonding because of the differences in the
crystal structures of InP and Si

On a similar note, some people were looking at strained SiGe on a fully
depleted substrate a while back. IIRC, strained SiGe has a quasi-direct
bandgap, and putting SiGe on top of SiO2 causes it to be strained
because of the differences in the crystal structure :) Another one of
those ideas which hasn't made it out of the lab, AFAIK.