From: Richard on
All of a sudden I can not right click without getting an error that widnows
explorer was closing. I recently installed Norton 2010 - has anyone
discovered a problem with Norton? How can I address this?

Thanks

From: Stan Brown on
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:02:06 -0400 from Richard <richx(a)optonline.net>:

> All of a sudden I can not right click without getting an error that widnows
> explorer was closing. I recently installed Norton 2010

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Well, stop doing it."

Whatever you had hoped to do with Norton can be done better and
cheaper in some other way.

Peter Norton was a decent programmer but a genius marketer. He
produced some truly good utilities way back in the 1980s, then sold
them *and* his name to Symantec. Symantec is an anti-Midas:
everything it touches turns to ****.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:13:54 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Peter Norton was a decent programmer but a genius marketer. He
> produced some truly good utilities way back in the 1980s, then sold
> them *and* his name to Symantec. Symantec is an anti-Midas:
> everything it touches turns to ****.

Alas, how you describe Symantec is very close to true these days. But
it wasn't always the case. They used to put out good software.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: glee on
"Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> All of a sudden I can not right click without getting an error that
> widnows explorer was closing. I recently installed Norton 2010 - has
> anyone discovered a problem with Norton? How can I address this?

This behaviour is often (usually) due to a bad Shell Extension that came
with a recent installation...the shell extensions are what give you the
right-click context menu entries.

Download and install ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Run it, and use it to disable shell extensions till you find which is
causing the problem. Since you recently installed a Norton product,
test them first. Once you find which is the troublemaker, you can try
uninstalling/reinstalling the program, or just leave that shell
extension disabled. I personally don't let any Norton / Symantec apps
near my systems, so if it were my machine I'd uninstall Norton 2010
before I even troubleshot.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+
http://dts-l.net/

Pages: 1
Prev: dot NET 1.1 to 3.5