From: Rick Merrill on
Can one safely "uninstall" some of the .NET
installations?
From: John John - MVP on
Rick Merrill wrote:
> Can one safely "uninstall" some of the .NET
> installations?

Yes... no... and maybe.

Any application that makes use of any of them will no longer work if you
remove them. Also note that dot nets are not backward compatible, an
application coded with .net1 cannot use .net3, it needs the proper .net
version installed.

Safely remove them? Only if you are certain that you have no
applications that use them, and knowing or finding out if you have such
applications and which version they use would be more of a headache than
just leaving the different .nets installed.

John

From: Don Phillipson on
"Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill(a)gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Can one safely "uninstall" some of the .NET
> installations?

Probably not: MS documentation says if you need NET.3 at all,
you need NET.2 and NET.1 as well. That is the way it is built.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Rick Merrill on
John John - MVP wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>> Can one safely "uninstall" some of the .NET
>> installations?
>
> Yes... no... and maybe.
>
> Any application that makes use of any of them will no longer work if you
> remove them. Also note that dot nets are not backward compatible, an
> application coded with .net1 cannot use .net3, it needs the proper .net
> version installed.
>
> Safely remove them? Only if you are certain that you have no
> applications that use them, and knowing or finding out if you have such
> applications and which version they use would be more of a headache than
> just leaving the different .nets installed.
>
> John

Thank you. What would be the first step in "finding out" if anything
uses NET? (I thought uninstall would at least leave behind any .DLL
used by another well-behaved application.)

From: Peter Foldes on
Rick
Very simple. Did you install them through WU . If you did then some program called
on it to be installed. If you did not install it on your own then a program that you
installed it by needing it. The dot NET gets installed or Updated when a program
calls for it or needs it

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect