From: Ben C on
On 2010-04-23, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
> Andreas Prilop wrote:
>
>> Testcase:
>> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html
>>
>> Opera 10.51 (Windows XP) takes "padding-right" to mean "padding-left"
>> on table cells when the text direction is right-to-left;
>> other browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror) don't.
>>
>> Can you reproduce this behaviour in Opera?
>
> Confirmed for Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.5.22 Version/10.51
> (on Wine, where it is a PITA as compared to Opera 10.10).
>
>> Bug or feature?
>
> Maybe neither. CSS 2.1 contains a note about the HTML `dir' attribute with
> regard to table columns.

Yes, cells in columns go right to left when direction is rtl. That
doesn't mean padding-left means right padding!

> AIUI, it is not a good idea to use that attribute on a table cell,
> instead of the `direction' CSS property, and other CSS on the same
> element to begin with.

Why not? direction: rtl make cells go right to left just the same as
dir=rtl.

The only reason to use dir=rtl instead of direction would be something
like Korpela's CSS Kaveats.
From: Ben C on
On 2010-04-24, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>
>> The only reason to use dir=rtl instead of direction would be something
>> like Korpela's CSS Kaveats.
>
> The usual CSS Caveats are particularly important here, because writing
> direction is not a casual rendering feature like color, font, or padding.
> Instead, it is an inherent feature of the writing system.

[...]
> I don't see much reason to use the direction property (instead of the dir
> attribute in HTML) except in cases where you deliberately play with
> direction - on fun pages, basically.

I agree. I think this "belongs" in HTML rather than in CSS. But since
they need to specify various things about how things are laid out it
needs a CSS property for consistency and to save cross-referencing the
HTML specs.

The only place the direction property should probably normally be used
is in the browser default stylesheet.
From: Andreas Prilop on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Ben C wrote:

>>> Testcase:
>>> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html

Updated version with direction:rtl .

> direction: rtl make cells go right to left just the same as dir=rtl.

I have not yet seen the updated version of my test page in Opera
but I would be even more surprised if there is a difference between
dir=rtl and direction: rtl .

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/text-direction.html
From: dorayme on
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.64.1004271809540.5892(a)zen.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>,
Andreas Prilop <prilop4321(a)trashmail.net> wrote:

> Updated version with direction:rtl .
>
> > direction: rtl make cells go right to left just the same as dir=rtl.
>
> I have not yet seen the updated version of my test page in Opera
> but I would be even more surprised if there is a difference between
> dir=rtl and direction: rtl .

On Mac Opera 10.10, there is no difference between your rtl and
ltr tables showing up. Once again, the "bug" that is being found
here is dependant on you specifying right-padding in em rather
than other units. Continue to find this uninteresting.

--
dorayme
From: Andreas Prilop on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, dorayme wrote:

> On Mac Opera 10.10, there is no difference between your rtl and
> ltr tables showing up. Once again, the "bug" that is being found
> here is dependant on you specifying right-padding in em rather
> than other units.

I see - when I write { padding-right: 50mm }, I get the padding
on the right side. Strange, strange, strange

> Continue to find this uninteresting.

Yes, because I continue to specify length only in relative units.

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell