From: Andreas Prilop on
Testcase:
http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html

Opera 10.51 (Windows XP) takes "padding-right" to mean "padding-left"
on table cells when the text direction is right-to-left;
other browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror) don't.

Can you reproduce this behaviour in Opera? Bug or feature?

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/
From: Ben C on
On 2010-04-23, Andreas Prilop <prilop4321(a)trashmail.net> wrote:
> Testcase:
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html
>
> Opera 10.51 (Windows XP) takes "padding-right" to mean "padding-left"
> on table cells when the text direction is right-to-left;
> other browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror) don't.
>
> Can you reproduce this behaviour in Opera?

Yes, Opera 10.10 on GNU/Linux does it too.

> Bug or feature?

Bug. The spec says padding-right means padding-right (and it would be
really confusing if right started meaning left when direction changed).

What all browsers do is swap left and right for whichever of margin or
padding they use in the default stylesheet to indent list items when
direction is rtl.

One way to do this, I think what Firefox did, is create some custom
properties like -moz-padding-start and -moz-padding-end and use those in
the default stylesheet. Another would be to invent a new pseudo called
:rtl or something.

CSS3 probably has padding-start/padding-end (or something like that,
don't know what name they used) as well as padding-left/padding-right.
From: dorayme on
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.64.1004231628390.22558(a)zen.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>,
Andreas Prilop <prilop4321(a)trashmail.net> wrote:

> Testcase:
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html
>
> Opera 10.51 (Windows XP) takes "padding-right" to mean "padding-left"
> on table cells when the text direction is right-to-left;
> other browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror) don't.
>
> Can you reproduce this behaviour in Opera? Bug or feature?

Opera is a lone ranger when it comes to fonts and font sizes.
"padding-right" means more what it says, for example, in Opera
when you use pixels.

--
dorayme
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Andreas Prilop wrote:

> Testcase:
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.html
>
> Opera 10.51 (Windows XP) takes "padding-right" to mean "padding-left"
> on table cells when the text direction is right-to-left;
> other browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror) don't.
>
> Can you reproduce this behaviour in Opera?

Confirmed for Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.5.22 Version/10.51
(on Wine, where it is a PITA as compared to Opera 10.10).

> Bug or feature?

Maybe neither. CSS 2.1 contains a note about the HTML `dir' attribute with
regard to table columns. AIUI, it is not a good idea to use that attribute
on a table cell, instead of the `direction' CSS property, and other CSS on
the same element to begin with.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-direction>

Isn't there a bug tracking system at opera.com?

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Ben C wrote:

> The only reason to use dir=rtl instead of direction would be something
> like Korpela's CSS Kaveats.

The usual CSS Caveats are particularly important here, because writing
direction is not a casual rendering feature like color, font, or padding.
Instead, it is an inherent feature of the writing system. It would be absurd
if your English-language page got right to left direction (with
directionally neutral pieces running right to left, default alignment set to
right, column order in tables right to left) just because your style sheet
is not found, or is not applied.

?It would look odd, wouldn't it

(Latin letters would still run right to left, since they have inherent left
to right directionality, but e.g. some punctuation would get thrown in odd
places.)

Well, _that_ won't happen of course, since default direction is left to
right, but the situation is just as absurd in the real case of writing
systems that differ from this default.

I don't see much reason to use the direction property (instead of the dir
attribute in HTML) except in cases where you deliberately play with
direction - on fun pages, basically.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 |  Next  |  Last