From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 06/25/2010 03:53 PM, Gilles Ganault wrote:
> Hello
>
> As a work-around to solve an occasional application lock-up, I'd like
> to gracefully reboot a FreeBSD 6.3 x86 host every night at midnight.
>
> Is adding this line to crontab the right way?
>
> 0 0 * * * root /etc/rc.shutdown
>
> OR
>
> 0 0 * * * root shutdown -r now

I don't think so.

In a Unix/right way, all you need to do is write a script to watch the
said application and, or its PID and kill, terminate or (re)start the
only the culprit application when needed.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Gilles Ganault on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:06:01 +0530, Balwinder S Dheeman
<bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net> wrote:
>In a Unix/right way, all you need to do is write a script to watch the
>said application and, or its PID and kill, terminate or (re)start the
>only the culprit application when needed.

Right, but I'm actually not positive which application is causing the
problem.

Is what I typed above the right way to gracefully reboot a FreeBSD
host?

Thank you.
From: Lowell Gilbert on
Gilles Ganault <nospam(a)nospam.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> As a work-around to solve an occasional application lock-up, I'd like
> to gracefully reboot a FreeBSD 6.3 x86 host every night at midnight.
>
> Is adding this line to crontab the right way?
>
> 0 0 * * * root /etc/rc.shutdown
>
> OR
>
> 0 0 * * * root shutdown -r now

The latter.

[For values of "the right way" that include rebooting the kernel to
solve a problem in userspace at all...]

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
From: Mike Scott on
Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gilles Ganault <nospam(a)nospam.com> writes:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> As a work-around to solve an occasional application lock-up, I'd like
>> to gracefully reboot a FreeBSD 6.3 x86 host every night at midnight.
>>
>> Is adding this line to crontab the right way?
>>
>> 0 0 * * * root /etc/rc.shutdown
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 0 0 * * * root shutdown -r now
>
> The latter.
>
> [For values of "the right way" that include rebooting the kernel to
> solve a problem in userspace at all...]

Papering over the cracks in the wall. Makes you feel better for a while :-)

I don't get the "but I'm actually not positive which application is
causing the problem." statement though. If the OP knows there's been a
locked-up application, I can't see how he cannot know which. I'll grant
intermittent faults are the very devil to locate, but a full reboot,
well.......

Oh, I might also suggest 'killall -9 xyzzy' or whatever as another
sledgehammer-type possibility, always assuming the application will
actually exit.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
From: Gilles Ganault on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:29 +0100, Mike Scott
<usenet.12(a)spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:
>I don't get the "but I'm actually not positive which application is
>causing the problem." statement though. If the OP knows there's been a
>locked-up application, I can't see how he cannot know which. I'll grant
>intermittent faults are the very devil to locate, but a full reboot,
>well.......

In the absolute, I agree it's overkill but it's just a SOHO telephony
server, and since I'm not sure whether it's Asterisk or Zaptel acting
funny after several weeks, I figured it didn't matter if I rebooted
the host every night.

Thanks for the tip.