From: neil on
I Recently configured x11 for my laptop. The xorg - config script worked
first time and generated the configure file. However, I noted that the
Horizsync and VertRefresh were absent. The handbook says I should fill
these values in myself. This is the problem. My laptop user manual says
nothing and I have looked carefully at all the documentation. I have
seared online for product specs, service manual etc still cannot find
the Horizsync / VertRefresh settings.

X works well but when I power down the screen flickers and i'm worried
this may have something to do with the lack of setting.

Can anyone help? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L350 20G. The screen
is 17 inch wide screen WXGA Trubrite TFT. Do I need to be worried about
damage to my hardware?
From: Warren Block on
neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> I Recently configured x11 for my laptop. The xorg - config script worked
> first time and generated the configure file. However, I noted that the
> Horizsync and VertRefresh were absent.

They are usually not needed any more.

> The handbook says I should fill these values in myself.

If needed.

> This is the problem. My laptop user manual says nothing and I have
> looked carefully at all the documentation. I have seared online for
> product specs, service manual etc still cannot find the Horizsync /
> VertRefresh settings.

xrandr --verbose will show them.

> X works well

....and that shows that you don't need to mess with sync settings.

> but when I power down the screen flickers and i'm worried this may
> have something to do with the lack of setting.

More likely a function of the video driver and maybe the video hardware
or inverter power. Or maybe a driver setting.

VertRefresh is just how often the screen is redrawn. Does your screen
flicker all the time? No? Then it's fine.

HorizSync is a range limit. If you try to use a video mode that is out
of range, the monitor will not display a picture. A CRT could be
damaged, but most non-ancient CRTs and discrete LCD monitors will just
display an "out of range" message.

> Can anyone help? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L350 20G. The screen
> is 17 inch wide screen WXGA Trubrite TFT. Do I need to be worried about
> damage to my hardware?

Not from HorizSync and VertRefresh, no.

From: neil on
Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>> I Recently configured x11 for my laptop. The xorg - config script
> > worked
>> first time and generated the configure file. However, I noted that
> > the
>> Horizsync and VertRefresh were absent.
>
> They are usually not needed any more.
>
>> The handbook says I should fill these values in myself.
>
> If needed.
>
>> This is the problem. My laptop user manual says nothing and I have
>> looked carefully at all the documentation. I have seared online for
>> product specs, service manual etc still cannot find the Horizsync /
>> VertRefresh settings.
>
> xrandr --verbose will show them.
>
>> X works well
>
> ...and that shows that you don't need to mess with sync settings.
>
>> but when I power down the screen flickers and i'm worried this may
>> have something to do with the lack of setting.
>
> More likely a function of the video driver and maybe the video
> hardware
> or inverter power. Or maybe a driver setting.
>
> VertRefresh is just how often the screen is redrawn. Does your screen
>
> flicker all the time? No? Then it's fine.
>
> HorizSync is a range limit. If you try to use a video mode that is
> out
> of range, the monitor will not display a picture. A CRT could be
> damaged, but most non-ancient CRTs and discrete LCD monitors will just
>
> display an "out of range" message.
>
>> Can anyone help? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L350 20G. The
> > screen
>> is 17 inch wide screen WXGA Trubrite TFT. Do I need to be worried
> > about
>> damage to my hardware?

Not from HorizSync and VertRefresh, no.

Thanks for your help once again.