From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 05/04/2010 12:43, in article wIOdnTJS-6V5IyTWnZ2dnUVZ7q1i4p2d(a)bt.com,
"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/2010 01:58, bob urz wrote:
>> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>>> On 04/04/2010 23:14, in article hpavg6$7so$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
>>> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Ehm, all the major venues that I've worked in required hard hats to be worn
>>> when somebody was in the rig.
>>>

>> That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
>> required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
>> frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats as a
>> requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has hard hats
>> as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.
>>
>> We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard hats.
>> If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work along side
>> of them with nothing on our heads.
>
> Someone recently told me that there are a significant number of serious
> injuries and deaths each year on building sites, from falling hard hats!

Which is why riggers usually wear climbing helmets, with chinstraps. I'm
fairly certain that in the UK the HSE requires a chinstrap on the hard hat
for any work at height, but it seems that most of the falling hard hat
accidents actually involve workers inside a building, leaning out of a
window (an thus not actually "working at height").

However tight you make the rules, there will always be a residual risk.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: PeterD on
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:58:39 -0500, bob urz <sound(a)inetnebr.com>
wrote:

>Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 04/04/2010 23:14, in article hpavg6$7so$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
>> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>> Even if someone yells, you may not know where its coming from or if
>>> its too small even see it in time. The guys from circ Solie all wear
>>> hard hats. In the future, it may be mandated for all.
>>
>> Ehm, all the major venues that I've worked in required hard hats to be worn
>> when somebody was in the rig.
>>

>That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
>required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
>frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats as a
>requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has hard hats
>as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.
>
>We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard hats.
>If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work along side
>of them with nothing on our heads.
>
>bob

One (and the venues) should consider checking what OSHA requires, and
I'm sure that that lack of a rule would quickly change. Takes only one
accident, an a massive (and virtually impossible to defend against)
fine from OSHA and the lesson is 'learned'.
From: bob urz on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 12:43, in article wIOdnTJS-6V5IyTWnZ2dnUVZ7q1i4p2d(a)bt.com,
> "Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote:

>>> That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
>>> required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
>>> frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats as a
>>> requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has hard hats
>>> as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.
>>>
>>> We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard hats.
>>> If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work along side
>>> of them with nothing on our heads.
>> Someone recently told me that there are a significant number of serious
>> injuries and deaths each year on building sites, from falling hard hats!
>
> Which is why riggers usually wear climbing helmets, with chinstraps. I'm
> fairly certain that in the UK the HSE requires a chinstrap on the hard hat
> for any work at height, but it seems that most of the falling hard hat
> accidents actually involve workers inside a building, leaning out of a
> window (an thus not actually "working at height").
>
> However tight you make the rules, there will always be a residual risk.

The strange thing about that statement (if i interpret it right), is
that the riggers (assuming there on high steel) wear hats.
The falling object hazard is usually BELOW the riggers, not above.
(were talking about production here, not construction)

Its the people on the ground that need protection. The same arena that
does not require hard hats for show production did require them when it
was being built (i was sub contracting).

We had an incident a few years ago that during a Division 1 basket ball
game, a c wrench fell down from the grid. No one was up there, who
knows who left it and how it got there. Fell close to the home teams
bench. That got a few peoples attention.

In the US, OSHA has more or less left the live production industry
alone. A few major incidents, that all could change. Some little sheriff
trying to make his rod longer could see all the cable bundles and such
on trusses and deam it unsafe and shut down a show. Or some of the power
and cable distribution on stage. I have seem plastic dome senni antennas
deformed from being to close to pyro. My favorite pet peeve is the
riggers leaving there steel on the floor right where you need to push
set carts and gear. Many riggers seem to have no thought about causing
issues for the rest of the crew. Sometimes you only have a narrow path
to push, and there will be an X on the floor and the riggers will have
left there steel there. All they need to do is move it off the marked
point until the steel goes up.

I would say the industry has got safer. In old arenas, there were no tie
off cables for walking the grid. Its mandatory now. Some local stage
hands are required to have certified personal in key areas, and the
ones that don't are surely looking at it in the future (ESTA)

bob

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 05/04/2010 15:34, in article hpcou1$frh$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
<sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:

(...)
>>> Someone recently told me that there are a significant number of serious
>>> injuries and deaths each year on building sites, from falling hard hats!
>>
>> Which is why riggers usually wear climbing helmets, with chinstraps. I'm
>> fairly certain that in the UK the HSE requires a chinstrap on the hard hat
>> for any work at height, but it seems that most of the falling hard hat
>> accidents actually involve workers inside a building, leaning out of a
>> window (an thus not actually "working at height").
>>
>> However tight you make the rules, there will always be a residual risk.
>>

> The strange thing about that statement (if i interpret it right), is
> that the riggers (assuming there on high steel) wear hats.
> The falling object hazard is usually BELOW the riggers, not above.
> (were talking about production here, not construction)

Everybody wears hats, both the riggers and the people below them. It's just
that the riggers wear different hats. With chin straps.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com