From: Richard Webb on
On Sun 2038-Apr-04 20:58, bob urz writes:

> That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
> required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
> frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats
> as a requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has
> hard hats as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.

That doesn't surprise me. But, if you work crewing for my
remote audio business and you've got people working overhead you're to grab one of the hard hats from our equipment
closet in the control room.

> We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard
> hats. If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work
> along side of them with nothing on our heads.

I'm again not surprised, but my lady and I let folks working for us know that there are hard hats available, and that if
they're working below folks rigging they're to get one, and
put it on their head.

Regards,
Richard
From: Denny Strauser on
Richard Webb wrote:
> On Sun 2038-Apr-04 20:58, bob urz writes:
>
>> That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
>> required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
>> frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats
>> as a requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has
>> hard hats as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.
>
> That doesn't surprise me. But, if you work crewing for my
> remote audio business and you've got people working overhead you're to grab one of the hard hats from our equipment
> closet in the control room.
>
>> We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard
>> hats. If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work
>> along side of them with nothing on our heads.
>
> I'm again not surprised, but my lady and I let folks working for us know that there are hard hats available, and that if
> they're working below folks rigging they're to get one, and
> put it on their head.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

I should wear a hard hat on theater shows, not because of people working
overhead, but because I have a bad habit of walking into low hung
side-lighting on light trees, & flown-in electrics. You'd think I'd have
learned by now ... but ... ouch ... lol
Working on a dark stage is painful.
- Denny
From: Ron on
On 05/04/2010 01:58, bob urz wrote:
> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 04/04/2010 23:14, in article hpavg6$7so$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
>> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>> Even if someone yells, you may not know where its coming from or if
>>> its too small even see it in time. The guys from circ Solie all wear
>>> hard hats. In the future, it may be mandated for all.
>>
>> Ehm, all the major venues that I've worked in required hard hats to be
>> worn
>> when somebody was in the rig.
>>

> That all depends on where you are. In the US, its not necessarily
> required. I can tell you for a fact that the 17,000 seat arena i
> frequently work at in the center of the USA does NOT have hard hats as a
> requirement. As far as that goes, not ONE venue we work at has hard hats
> as a requirement. And these are IATSE contract venues.
>
> We require riggers to be in harness and have safeties. But no hard hats.
> If the shows come in with them, thats fine. But then we work along side
> of them with nothing on our heads.

Someone recently told me that there are a significant number of serious
injuries and deaths each year on building sites, from falling hard hats!

Ron(UK)
From: Ron on
On 04/04/2010 21:48, JWald wrote:
> ----
> "bob urz"<sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message
>> Joe Kotroczo wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> This reminds me: there was a stage roof collapse less than a year ago in
>>> Marseilles, Madonna's tour. Did anyone ever hear the result of the
>>> investigation?
>>>

>> During one of those videos, it was heard in the background to take cover
>> or be sliced in half. It looked like flying corrugated steel siding.
>> So, at what point do you stop looking after the show and dive for cover
>> to save your own butt?
>>
>> We work in dangerous environments in arenas with stuff that could fall and
>> kill us in a second. A few years ago i was doing a arena country show when
>> one of the riggers from above dropped the chain he was trying to tie up in
>> the ceiling. I heard that clanging chain sound very close
>> and put my tired old butt in warp drive. Lucky, no one was hurt, but i
>> was WAY too close for comfort.
>>
>> Another time, we were taking a sound cluster up and one of the chain motor
>> bags got caught on this little welded on tab on the front chain motor. The
>> tab broke off, i heard this SProng.. noise, then the whole
>> cluster started to shake. That was about a shorts chaining moment too.
>> luckily, everything stayed in the air and nothing came down. Found out
>> latter that these tabs were usually taken off the chain motors before they
>> were released into the wild.
>>

>> I know guys who go out and do roofs all summer. That would be like being
>> in the gulag to me...
>>
>> bob
>
> It wasn't a stage collapse, but I had a shackle, dropped from the grid, miss
> me by about a foot. No heads up prior to, and no apology since. That's been
> about 3 yrs ago.

I had a set of open barn doors miss my head by millimetres a while back,
I actually felt them pass through my long hair and touch my back as they
passed by. The grid was only about 12 feet above, but a centimetre
closer and I would have been taking a visit to hospital.
Ron(UK)
From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 05/04/2010 12:50, in article
4bb9c06d$0$18297$e4fe514c(a)dreader22.news.xs4all.nl, "Marc Amsterdam"
<reply(a)newsgroup.only> wrote:

> On 2010-04-04 23:37:23 +0200, Joe Kotroczo said:
>
>> On 04/04/2010 23:14, in article hpavg6$7so$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob urz"
>> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>>
>>> Even if someone yells, you may not know where its coming from or if
>>> its too small even see it in time. The guys from circ Solie all wear
>>> hard hats. In the future, it may be mandated for all.
>>
>> Ehm, all the major venues that I've worked in required hard hats to be worn
>> when somebody was in the rig.
>
> Same over here in the netherlands, the contracter is obliged to issue
> hardhat to all personel if there is work to be done overhead. Even if
> you are a subcontractor which is the majority of the workforce in the
> field here the main contractor is held to that obligation.
> The practical situation is that most have theire own rock climbing
> helmet that is lighter and cooler to wear but moslty not according to
> EN 397 regulation. If inspections are conducted they mention it but
> take no action because they know the good rock climbing helmets are of
> better quality than their regulations prescribe and mostly exceed EN
> 397 as they are according to EN 12492. The real problem is liability
> when some bad has happened.

Petzl makes climbing helmets that are both EN397 and EN12492 compliant.

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/helmets-0

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com