From: dclist on
I'm looking for a way to do moderately robust angular displacement
(and angular velocity) measurement. I was trying to use quadrature
encoders but it appeared the sensors were occasionally missing some
state transitions possibly due to the discs moving too quickly or some
occasional optical occlusion. I am therefore looking for alternatives.

What are commonly used alternatives to measuring angular displacement?
From: krw on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:31:29 -0700 (PDT), dclist <dclist(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a way to do moderately robust angular displacement
>(and angular velocity) measurement. I was trying to use quadrature
>encoders but it appeared the sensors were occasionally missing some
>state transitions possibly due to the discs moving too quickly or some
>occasional optical occlusion. I am therefore looking for alternatives.

What sort of rates would an LED/photo-diode not track?

>What are commonly used alternatives to measuring angular displacement?

I saw a cute Hall-effect rotary encoder this week. The output was 360-degree,
with any sort of encoding desired (mag-dir, quadrature, binary,...).

http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Encoders/Rotary-Encoders
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/31/2010 03:31 PM, dclist wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to do moderately robust angular displacement
> (and angular velocity) measurement. I was trying to use quadrature
> encoders but it appeared the sensors were occasionally missing some
> state transitions possibly due to the discs moving too quickly or some
> occasional optical occlusion. I am therefore looking for alternatives.
>
> What are commonly used alternatives to measuring angular displacement?

I've had very good luck with encoders in the past. If it's a good
quality encoder, you're not going too fast for the encoder, and you
haven't screwed up your decoding in the electronics or the software,
then about the only ways left to have problems are that you're abusing
the encoder somehow.

Resolvers are a good alternative to encoders. Good quality pots are not
to be sneered at. RVDT's work well over limited stroke lengths.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/31/2010 03:49 PM, krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:31:29 -0700 (PDT), dclist<dclist(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to do moderately robust angular displacement
>> (and angular velocity) measurement. I was trying to use quadrature
>> encoders but it appeared the sensors were occasionally missing some
>> state transitions possibly due to the discs moving too quickly or some
>> occasional optical occlusion. I am therefore looking for alternatives.
>
> What sort of rates would an LED/photo-diode not track?
>
>> What are commonly used alternatives to measuring angular displacement?
>
> I saw a cute Hall-effect rotary encoder this week. The output was 360-degree,
> with any sort of encoding desired (mag-dir, quadrature, binary,...).
>
> http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Encoders/Rotary-Encoders

If I'm not mistaken Allegro Microsystems has those, too.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/31/2010 03:49 PM, krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:31:29 -0700 (PDT), dclist<dclist(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to do moderately robust angular displacement
>> (and angular velocity) measurement. I was trying to use quadrature
>> encoders but it appeared the sensors were occasionally missing some
>> state transitions possibly due to the discs moving too quickly or some
>> occasional optical occlusion. I am therefore looking for alternatives.
>
> What sort of rates would an LED/photo-diode not track?

There is an upper limit that you ignore at your peril. The ones with
open-collector outputs have, I think, a more severe speed limit* than
ones with totem-pole or CMOS output.

* And, obviously, more sensitivity to your supporting circuitry.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

 |  Next  |  Last