From: Bear on
I've only ever implemented MAC access control on my Belkin router (only let
allowed PC's on) but people tell me I should have WEP, WPA2 or both enabled.
If I do this I will then have to configure each device which accesses the
router - 2 x notebooks, iPhone, TiVo, media player etc. How do I do that -
is it just a matter of entering the pass phrase on each one?

From: Bear on

"Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message
> Bear wrote:
>
>> I've only ever implemented MAC access control on my Belkin router (only
>> let
>> allowed PC's on) but people tell me I should have WEP, WPA2 or both
>> enabled.
>> If I do this I will then have to configure each device which accesses the
>> router - 2 x notebooks, iPhone, TiVo, media player etc. How do I do
>> that -
>> is it just a matter of entering the pass phrase on each one?
>
> MAC address filtering is a waste of time, as is WEP, which is reliably
> hacked in under 5 minutes.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
>
> WPA2 with a strong, non-dictionary password is the only 'secure' option.
>
> And yes, it should just be a matter of entering the password into each
> device's network configuration.
>
> --
> Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Thanks Andy, done that and all looks OK.

From: keithr on
On 22/04/2010 5:13 PM, Bear wrote:
> I've only ever implemented MAC access control on my Belkin router (only let
> allowed PC's on) but people tell me I should have WEP, WPA2 or both enabled.
> If I do this I will then have to configure each device which accesses the
> router - 2 x notebooks, iPhone, TiVo, media player etc. How do I do that -
> is it just a matter of entering the pass phrase on each one?

Using MAC access control may prevent others from using your connection,
but it does nothing to prevent them from snooping passwords, personal
data etc when you are connected.

From: keithr on
On 22/04/2010 7:46 PM, Andy wrote:
> keithr wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2010 5:13 PM, Bear wrote:
>>> I've only ever implemented MAC access control on my Belkin router (only let
>>> allowed PC's on) but people tell me I should have WEP, WPA2 or both enabled.
>>> If I do this I will then have to configure each device which accesses the
>>> router - 2 x notebooks, iPhone, TiVo, media player etc. How do I do that -
>>> is it just a matter of entering the pass phrase on each one?
>>
>> Using MAC access control may prevent others from using your connection,
>
> It doesn't even do that.

Thats why I said "May", it all depends who you are trying to keep out.
From: D-L473 on
In article <5s2dnf1qa_hha1LWnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>, who(a)where.com says...
> I've only ever implemented MAC access control on my Belkin router (only let
> allowed PC's on) but people tell me I should have WEP, WPA2 or both enabled.
> If I do this I will then have to configure each device which accesses the
> router - 2 x notebooks, iPhone, TiVo, media player etc. How do I do that -
> is it just a matter of entering the pass phrase on each one?

Set router WPA2-PSK if you can get it. Choose a nice long string as the passphrase.

Turn Beaconing off (so the SSID is not visible to all)

Set up each machine separately, they should have same high-level encryption capabilities.

Lock the router down to specific MAC addresses. If your router can't do both encryption and MAC
address lock-down consider another router.