From: Joel VanderWerf on
Simone R. wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
> both in JS and VB.
>
> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
> execute client side script written in ruby?

I'd like to have a ruby -> swf compiler. ActionScript is painful--it
combines the worst of java and javscript.

From: Louis-Philippe on

what about ming for swf generation:
http://mingruby.rubyforge.org/

From: Joel VanderWerf on
Louis-Philippe wrote:
> what about ming for swf generation:
> http://mingruby.rubyforge.org/

That is interesting, though it is far from a ruby -> swf compiler.
AFAICT ming is not suited to building a complex UI like flex.

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<joelvanderwerf(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd like to have a ruby -> swf compiler. ActionScript is painful--it
> combines the worst of java and javscript.

Long ago there was the IronMonkey project to run IronRuby and IronPython on
Tamarin, the ActionScript virtual machine via bytecode translation. It's
long since gone by the wayside, as far as I can tell:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Tamarin:IronMonkey
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Tamarin:IronMonkey>
--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Robert Dober on
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<joelvanderwerf(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
>> execute client side script written in ruby?
>
> I'd like to have a ruby -> swf compiler. ActionScript is painful--it
> combines the worst of java and javscript.

Copy that.
Concering Javascript I was once dreaming of Client Side Ruby too. But
I got pretty much acquainted to Javascript. After all I prefer
prototype over class inheritance ;). The syntax is a pain, but
Prototype, Moo, JQuery and friends kind of easy that.

Cheers
Robert
-- Alan Kay