From: Caleb Clausen on
On 5/27/10, Louis-Philippe <default(a)spiralix.org> wrote:
> what about ming for swf generation:
> http://mingruby.rubyforge.org/
>
> 2010/5/27 Joel VanderWerf <joelvanderwerf(a)gmail.com>
>
>> Simone R. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,

Louis-Philippe:

Although we appreciate your contributions to the discussion, when
posting to ruby-talk, please don't top-post.

From: Robert Klemme on
2010/5/27 Simone R. <k5mmx(a)yahoo.com>:

> I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
> both in JS and VB.
>
> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
> execute client side script written in ruby?

Technically, yes - and in fact it has been attempted already. The
hard bit is to get enough momentum so there is a large enough
installation basis in clients so site developers will use it. It's a
catch 22 situation: if there are not enough client installations web
applications won't use it and if web applications do not use it people
have no reason to install the client extension. The only realistic
way out of this would be a Ruby VM that comes installed with a popular
browser. Even then the question remains whether this is sufficient to
win enough web site development teams over to using Ruby instead of
JavaScript which by now they know by heart. I don't think that
technical advantages of Ruby vs. JavaScript are not enough to make
this a realistic scenario. So, yes, it's a cool idea, I would like
it, too - but I assume this won't happen anytime soon, if at all.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Eric Christopherson on
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Simone R. <k5mmx(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
> both in JS and VB.
>
> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
> execute client side script written in ruby?

I just noticed this article, which talks about using IronRuby in MS Silverlight:

http://www.rubyinside.com/ironruby-silverlight-ruby-in-browser-3192.html?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=featured-post

From: Mark T on
Here's an interesting candidate for displacing 'javascript' for 'Ruby'...!

http://blog.jcoglan.com/category/jsclass/

(wow).
MarkT