From: Simone R. on
Hi everybody,

I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
both in JS and VB.

Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
execute client side script written in ruby?

thanks Simone

From: Caleb Clausen on
On 5/27/10, Simone R. <k5mmx(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
> both in JS and VB.
>
> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
> execute client side script written in ruby?

I think it's a fantastic idea. I suspect most people on this list will
agree. Now, if only we could get the firefox maintainers on board as
well....

The biggest technical challenge with a project like this is making
ruby safe enough. We need a good sandboxing tool for ruby code (there
are other good applications for one, if it existed). I think the big
problem is that there are (probably) still buffer overflow and other
security bugs in MRI. Those would all need to be found and fixed.

The second biggest challenge is to get ruby hooked up to all the dom
manipulation and other libraries people expect to have in javascript.

From: Louis-Philippe on

you might want to take a look at:
http://hotruby.yukoba.jp/

From: Intransition on

On May 27, 10:45 am, "Simone R." <k5...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was thinking about the old days when IE was able to execute script
> both in JS and VB.
>
> Do you think can be a good idea to include in a web browser a Ruby VM to
> execute client side script written in ruby?

Yes, but on the other hand Javascript is pretty good language in it's
own right. The problem it has, where Ruby shines, is that it's syntax
is a little too crufty and it lacks much of the functionality Ruby
provides out of the box. In that vain, check out CoffeeScript.

From: Ritchie Flick on

Wouldn't it be possible to develop an extension for various browsers for a
proof of concept? Or does it have to be integrated in the browser itself?