From: Walton Hoops on

How? Because they are immutable? That's not special casing, that's just
how the class is designed. I can write an immutable class in Ruby,
without any special casing.

From: Rick DeNatale on

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> No, but you ARE missing the fact that the lack of being able to rebind
> a variable via a method has NOTHING to do with the class of the object
> which is currently bound to that variable.

But the rebinding is being done by an operator, not a method, and there's
ample precedent for operators that perform rebinding in Ruby (=, +=, -=, /=,
etc)

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision

From: Seebs on
On 2009-11-08, Tony Arcieri <tony(a)medioh.com> wrote:
> You still seem to be missing what I'm proposing.

> For Numerics, ++ would rebind. For everything else, it would be dispatched
> as a message.

> Am I being unclear?

I don't think that gives the right semantics in many cases. It's also
not clear that rebinding works:

array_example.length++

What should this do?

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Seebs on
On 2009-11-08, Tony Arcieri <tony(a)medioh.com> wrote:
> But the rebinding is being done by an operator, not a method, and there's
> ample precedent for operators that perform rebinding in Ruby (=, +=, -=, /=,
> etc)

And which of those operators special-case Numeric?

Any of them? I don't think so.

If it's to be a rebinding operator, it ought to rebind for everything, not
just for numerics.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net