From: Tony Arcieri on

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, TonyMc <afmcc(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> Tony Arcieri <tony(a)medioh.com> writes:
>
> > I still find this most appropriate:
>
> OK, that gets you killfiled. Getting ruby wrong is not so bad, you just
> need to learn from the other posts in this thread. Getting real life
> wrong is another, and much more serious.

Psst, it's a joke, and a self-deprecating one at that.

That said, this thread is pretty much a dead horse at this point.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision

From: James Edward Gray II on
On Nov 9, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, TonyMc <afmcc(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Tony Arcieri <tony(a)medioh.com> writes:
>>
>>> I still find this most appropriate:
>>
>> OK, that gets you killfiled. Getting ruby wrong is not so bad, you
>> just
>> need to learn from the other posts in this thread. Getting real life
>> wrong is another, and much more serious.
>>

> Psst, it's a joke, and a self-deprecating one at that.

I too found it really offensive.

James Edward Gray II

From: Rick DeNatale on
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Aldric Giacomoni <aldric(a)trevoke.net> wrote:

> I don't understand this block.
> Aussi, si je puis me permettre - le Francais est une langue, et Ruby est
> un langage (de programmation). Yet another one of those french
> subtleties!

Actually I think the subtleties are similar between French and English here

In French une langue denotes the same concept as tongue in English.
The primary meaning is that muscle in the middle of a mouth. It can
also mean a language, in the same sense that tongue can in English
phrases such as "His native tongue." or "Speaking in tongues."
Although such usage is more frequent in French than in English. This
is a secondary meaning though, from "Le Dictionnaire de l'Académie
Française":

LANGUE désigne aussi l’Idiome d’une nation, d’une race

And the French word idiome (another slightly false cognate) means The
language of a Nation, or province.

The French un Langage is first what is used by humans to express their
thoughts and sentiments by means of "articulations of the voice", by
extension it also can mean written language, the 'language' of animals
(bird song, dog's barking etc.) and finally a system of communication
by any means "The symbolic language of flowers." "Pantomime is a
silent language." these last being translated examples from Le
Dictionnaire.

--
Rick DeNatale

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Rick Denatale wrote:

> In French une langue denotes the same concept as tongue in English.
> The primary meaning is that muscle in the middle of a mouth. It can
> also mean a language

Okay, I knew that...

> The French un Langage is first what is used by humans to express their
> thoughts and sentiments by means of "articulations of the voice", by
> extension it also can mean written language, the 'language' of animals
> (bird song, dog's barking etc.) and finally a system of communication
> by any means "The symbolic language of flowers." "Pantomime is a
> silent language." these last being translated examples from Le
> Dictionnaire.

By Jove! Getting lessons in my mother idiom (*grin*) on a Ruby forum. I
knew I was following you on Twitter for a reason.

From: Rick DeNatale on
Just so you know I wasn't dissing La langue belle. I try to maintain
a basic fluency. Not sure if my French or my C is more rusty! <G>