From: David A. Black on
Hi --

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, RichardOnRails wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> First, Thank you for The Well-Grounded Rubyist. I study like other
> pour over scriptures or the Koran. Your topics are well chose,
> beautifully explicated. And Manning adding typesetting that enhanced
> the your work.

Thanks!

> I started this thread because some of your comments on page 54, e.g.
> "The un-reference ..." were a blemish among your excellent analyses.

Oh dear -- the whole thread is my fault? :-)

> The fact that Robert Klemme, whom I also respect highly as a Rubyist,
> agrees with you gives me pause.
>
> But nevertheless, I maintain that my corrected post of today refutes
> such claims as "... any object that's represented as an immediate
> value is always the same object."

I'm afraid I don't see the refutation, but as per my previous post,
the immediate value thing is only part of the picture.

> Russel & Whitehead dealt with this
> kind of issue perhaps a century ago when the defined the first Natural
> Number, 1, as "the set of all sets that are in one-to-one
> correspondence with the set containing the Null Set." Plato dealt with
> this in The Parable of the Caves" with the claim that allegedly
> concrete things were merely reflections of the "real" objects.

Well... any given system of symbolic representation may or may not
take a Platonic view of things. Plato's allegory is of course of great
importance in the history of thought, but it doesn't really dictate
that 2000+ years later, there can't be a computer language with
identifiers housing immediate values :-)

> I'm not clamoring for a Ruby implementation. I only posted my
> analysis on this issue to get other people's opinions. And I find it
> hard compose a mistake free exposition, e.g. the last code lines in
> yesterday evening's post:
>
> a = 2**30-1; show (a) => Got 1073741823; class = Fixnum; object_id
> = 2147483647; v >> 1 = 1073741823
> a = 2**30; show (a) => Got 1073741824; class = Bignum; object_id =
> 22737670; v >> 1 = 11368835
>
> should have read:
>
> a = 2**30-1; show (a) => Got 1073741823; class = Fixnum; object_id
> = 2147483647; v >> 1 = 1073741823
> show(a.pp) => Got 1073741824; class = Bignum; object_id =
> 22738520; v >> 1 = 11369260 # Of course, "v >> 1" is irrelevant
> here
>
> to make the point that "pp" crossed the Fixnum/Bignum boundary
> smoothly.

You'll see a lot of people cutting-and-pasting entire shell sessions,
like this:

$ cat myfile.rb
... code here ...

$ ruby myfile.rb
... output here ...

which is a good way to ensure that your output is from your input. I
rely a lot (depending on the example) on pasting things in and out of
irb.

> Bottom line: Please keep up you great work! I appreciate it very
> much!

I'll do me best :-)

David

--
The Ruby training with D. Black, G. Brown, J.McAnally
Compleat Jan 22-23, 2010, Tampa, FL

David A. Black/Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypal.com)

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2009-11-09, Tony Arcieri <tony(a)medioh.com> wrote:
>> The only reasons it's impossible are cultural, not technical. If you think
>> there's a valid technical reason why it's "impossible" to implement perhaps
>> you'd care to state it.
>
> It's impossible to implement as a method. You could introduce it as
> syntactic sugar, but it's not so clear that this would be worth the
> trouble. In particular, incrementing is inefficient in Ruby because
> it would involve creating many new objects to iterate.
>
> -s

http://jicksta.com/posts/superators-add-new-operators-to-ruby
Well, with -that-, we definitely can add '++' as syntactic sugar for
succ.

I'm sorry? I'm beating a what? I can't hear you, there's too many flies
buzzing around the carcass.

From: Gavin Sinclair on
On Nov 20, 2:48 am, Aldric Giacomoni <ald...(a)trevoke.net> wrote:

> http://jicksta.com/posts/superators-add-new-operators-to-ruby
> Well, with -that-, we definitely can add '++' as syntactic sugar for
> succ.

Phew! It was about time someone added to this thread! ;)
From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2:48�am, Aldric Giacomoni <ald...(a)trevoke.net> wrote:
>>
>> http://jicksta.com/posts/superators-add-new-operators-to-ruby
>> Well, with -that-, we definitely can add '++' as syntactic sugar for
>> succ.
>
> Phew! It was about time someone added to this thread! ;)

You mean thread++ ? :D

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen(a)marnen.org>wrote:

> You mean thread++ ? :D

NO! thread += 1

thread++ isn't Ruby-like. DUH!

btw if anyone wants to discuss this in person I'm wandering around at
RubyConf :)

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision