From: Benoit Daloze on

On 10 April 2010 12:56, Philip Rhoades <phil(a)pricom.com.au> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I just used something simple above because the example stuff gave me the
> same problem - that is, using:
>

> class Player
> def play_turn(warrior)
> if warrior.feel.enemy?
> warrior.attack!
> else
> warrior.walk!
> end
> end
> end
>
> results in:
>

> Welcome to Ruby Warrior
> [1] p - beginner - level 1 - score 0
> [2] New Profile
> Choose profile by typing the number: 1
> Starting Level 1
> - turn 1 -
> --------
> |@ >|
> --------
> ./rubywarrior/p-beginner/player.rb:3:in `play_turn': undefined method
> `feel' for #<RubyWarrior::Turn:0x7f4c176e0680 @action=nil, @senses={}>
> (NoMethodError)
>
> Not something I was expecting from something that is supposed to help teach
> Ruby . .

Well, what do you have in front of you? nothing, so you just need to
warrior.walk!
You'll get the feel method later, you don't need it yet as there is no
enemy. (enemies will be shown on the map)

B.D.

From: Philip Rhoades on
Benoit,

On 2010-04-10 23:28, Benoit Daloze wrote:
> On 10 April 2010 12:56, Philip Rhoades<phil(a)pricom.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I just used something simple above because the example stuff gave me the
>> same problem - that is, using:
>>

>> class Player
>> def play_turn(warrior)
>> if warrior.feel.enemy?
>> warrior.attack!
>> else
>> warrior.walk!
>> end
>> end
>> end
>>
>> results in:
>>

>> Welcome to Ruby Warrior
>> [1] p - beginner - level 1 - score 0
>> [2] New Profile
>> Choose profile by typing the number: 1
>> Starting Level 1
>> - turn 1 -
>> --------
>> |@>|
>> --------
>> ./rubywarrior/p-beginner/player.rb:3:in `play_turn': undefined method
>> `feel' for #<RubyWarrior::Turn:0x7f4c176e0680 @action=nil, @senses={}>
>> (NoMethodError)
>>
>> Not something I was expecting from something that is supposed to help teach
>> Ruby . .
>

> Well, what do you have in front of you? nothing, so you just need to
> warrior.walk!
> You'll get the feel method later, you don't need it yet as there is no
> enemy. (enemies will be shown on the map)

Thanks - I didn't realise that all the methods were not immediately
available - maybe the script should respond with something nicer than
the ugly error messages in this case?

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil(a)pricom.com.au

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Philip Rhoades wrote:

> Thanks - I didn't realise that all the methods were not immediately
> available - maybe the script should respond with something nicer than
> the ugly error messages in this case?

That's a good idea. If I have time, maybe I'll try to submit a patch..
Or you could directly ask the developer :)

From: Robert Dober on
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM, thunk <gmkoller(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Thunk
your threads are fun but I would appreciate if you respected other
threads, not everything can be fun, and you know depending on your
answer I will be treated as a stupid troll feeder or a nice guy, I put
my reputation into your hands, are you going to let me down?

Kind regards
Robert

From: Robert Dober on

--
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.”
--- Confucius